New engine with tight clutch!

darwinbikes

Local time
7:26 PM
Hi I have made a few motorised bikes before but never run into the trouble of opening the engine and the clutch not moving. Well this is my problem. When i push the pedal down that connects to the clutch the little sproket inside of the engine will not move. Can someone please tell me why this is happening. Is it either because the clutch is tight or is it because the clutch is broken?!?!?

Motorised bicycle engines do not have pedals, though the bicycle does have pedals. That said, i am thoroughly confused by your post.

Can you please re-explain your problem with more technical detail.

Last edited:
Sorry Fabian. My problem is that when i opened up the engine and fitted it on the bike. I found that the clutch would not dissengage. And the drive sproket in the engine wouldn't move. I was wondering how to fix this?

By "opened up the engine" do you mean that you have the sprocket cover removed (the plate that contains the clutch arm?) If that's the case, then the clutch isn't moving until you put that back on.

Also, I'm just assuming you have a 49cc or 66cc 2-stroke & that may not be the case at all. And as Fabian mentioned, more details & technical data is really needed.

Hi Bzura,
I've place the chain into the engine but when i try to dissengage the clutch the drive sproket will not move.

When you remove the cover that houses the clutch actuation arm, do you see a round pin of approximately 8mm or 5/16 of an inch in diameter, located in the centre of, and protruding approx 6mm or 1/4 of an inch past the outside face of the 10 tooth engine sprocket?

Last edited:
But do you have the 3/16 ball bearing that normally sits inside the hollow part of the shaft, and the cylindrical piece of metal called the bucking bar, that also sits inside the hollow part of the shaft?

If you take out the spark plug can you roll the bike? If not the chain may be caught up in the front sprocket/housing.

If that's not the case then perhaps you need to dig further. Read this thread & see if this is what's going on with your engine. Then follow the advice given & you should be up & running pretty soon.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?27783-new-bgf-80cc-clutch-issues

Back