New engine wont idle, is this normal?

Anime2019Master

Local time
10:20 AM
Got my new engine in today, installed and took to the road for a test run. Took a few trays, but I got it going, pretty bad stutter, maybe due to the 36t sprocket, I wasn't moving fast enough, and as long as I give it gas it'll go. But if I pull the clutch in, it dies. Is this normal for a new engine? Figured i should ask b4 i go tinkering woth the idle screw, I recall reading they are preset where they should be but idk. Better to ask people who used them all the time

First of all, which kit did you buy? I know you probably said in a post somewhere but it would be rlly helpful if you said it here so we're all clear on what you are working with. A photo of your build would be super helpful too.

Its the last weekend in June so any stock NT is (99.9% certain) jetted too rich (unless you're in New Zealand). You should move the C clip on the needle up to the second highest notch, and then put in a #67 5mm Dellorto type jet. If you purchase a set of jets from #65-70 you can try reducing jet size one size at a time just to be sure you have the right one in.

The idle screw won't be set up correctly out of the box so you'll need to do that.

Happy 9th anniversary weekend. 🥳🥳🥳

I purchased this pk80 from bicycle motorworks.

So I took it for a ride, new issues. Gas started pouring from carb, after checking, seems gas is inside the float, so now it's a sink. Plus I'm not getting spark anymore. i tried a new spark plug, didnt help. I have a spare magento, will replace that later and see if that fixes it, if not, it'll probably be the cdi box. I hope it's the magneto, so I don't have to order and wait on shipping

Got my new engine in today, installed and took to the road for a test run. Took a few trays, but I got it going, pretty bad stutter, maybe due to the 36t sprocket, I wasn't moving fast enough, and as long as I give it gas it'll go. But if I pull the clutch in, it dies. Is this normal for a new engine? Figured i should ask b4 i go tinkering woth the idle screw, I recall reading they are preset where they should be but idk. Better to ask people who used them all the time
First try turning the idle screw inward.

So I took it for a ride, new issues. Gas started pouring from carb, after checking, seems gas is inside the float, so now it's a sink. Plus I'm not getting spark anymore. i tried a new spark plug, didnt help. I have a spare magento, will replace that later and see if that fixes it, if not, it'll probably be the cdi box. I hope it's the magneto, so I don't have to order and wait on shipping
You may just be flooded. Clean the plug with carb cleaner then let dry before you go replacing parts. If you can locate where the float is leaking you may be able to seal it with a soldering iron or a heated up piece of coat hanger. Make sure their is no gas in it if you try this. You could try seal all adhesive from Autozone. The sealant would probably be the wiseer of the two. What ever you try you should still get a new float.

You may just be flooded. Clean the plug with carb cleaner then let dry before you go replacing parts. If you can locate where the float is leaking you may be able to seal it with a soldering iron or a heated up piece of coat hanger. Make sure their is no gas in it if you try this. You could try seal all adhesive from Autozone. What ever you try you should still get a new float.
Already tried pressing all around on the float, can't get gas to come out at all, no clue how it got in. Must be a hair line crack. So yea, gonna have to get a new float probably, after I change the magneto hopefully it'll turn over, if not, the cdi is bad, I'll have to replace it. I'll contact bicycle motor works after I know if it's the magneto or not and see what they say.

Back