New engine wont idle, is this normal?

I purchased a PK80 kit by runwell from BMW and I have had it about 10 days now. It's a piece of S#!+. The clutch does nothing but slip and squeal.
I had to change the pads because they were stuck in the cage so tight. Getting them out just tore them to peaces. Good thing I ordered a set with the kit. I adjusted the clutch about 5 times in 2 days. I think the clutch shaft spring preload is incorrect. The only way it will move is with the clutch adjusted so tight that with the clutch lever put in the neutral possession the bell cover (pressure plate) is dragging on the pads and making a scraping sound and on the center stand the wheel will spin. I had to turn the idle screw in all the way to get it to idle with out it dying. It's new and is running on break in fuel, so I get it. It idles now fine. Upon closer inspection of a sort of rumble sound, I discovered that the small bevel gear was wobbling and fix that I had to remove the bevel gear screw to lightly tap the high spot to get it to run more true to the clutch cage gear. The screw was about an 1/8 of a turn loose. I than proceeded to remove the screw which was tight the whole way (ended up using Vice Grips couldn't keep a large screwdriver in the slot). All the threads were damaged (factory cross-thread). I cleaned the threads on the screw with a jewelers file for a temporary fix. I have a GT5 Pro Racing I am rebuilding. I was going to use the screw from it, but it is to short. I have bought 6 engines over the past 12 years (Iv'e had 4 bikes stolen over the years) this is by far the worst assembled engine Iv'e seen.
I have called BMW 4 time and E-mailed them and they have NOT replied to my request to contact me. I'm PISSED OFF a these jokers. They are now on the list of sellers NOT to buy from, they took BikeBerrys place. BikeBerry is now # 2.
The one on the left is the PK80. The one on the right is the GT5.
Iv'e been a mechanic and engine builder/machinist (air cooled VW & Porsche, Brigs & Stratton, ,Onan, Kohler Etc.) for 40 years, so I know what not to do to get these results. China should not allow impacts on the assembly line. Do it right, use a torque wrench.

The factories are now putting the pinion screw in with a red type of Locktite that needs some heat to remove. It's really stupid, I stripped out my pinion bolt trying to remove it and had to drill and easyout the damn bolt stub. Straightening the pinion takes a brass hammer and patience and you'll still have issues with it not being quite square once buttoned back up. It's the price we pay for cheap motive power.

I've found that it's kinda hit an miss with these engines, some are good, some not. You can't expect gold from China. My first engine didn't even have the right size piston, way too big, would have cracked the head if it actually turned over. My second has had some issues, but it does run. What you have to do is just bear with it, and replace all the small issue a that crop up, and eventually, you'll end up with a solid, decent engine.

I have had 5 other engines/bikes sense 2007, 4 bikes stolen over the years. This one I built in 2015 with a GT5 Pro Racing from kMB. Iv'e been riding daily (except in the snow) I got this PK 80 so I could rebuild the GT5. I don't trust this PK 80, Whats going to go wrong next? Have had one small bevel gear come off (Grubi Sky-hawk). And a couple of lost spark problems, all easy fixes.
There is supposed to be a 30 day warranty and I have called and emailed BMW multiple times from the day I installed the engine (day after I received it). The have yet to email me or call, so I believe they DON"T care. I'm going to order another GT5 (engine only) But it won't be from BMW.
I use a trailer I built to do grocery shopping for the family. I don't think this engine will do it with the clutch the way it is. I need a running engine before I tear into a repair on another. I'll fix the PK after I have an engine that works. May just use it for a test engine to test a charging system I'm working on. Either way, right now I feel it was a waist of money. I thought I was getting a cherry and ended up with a lemon. I do understand it's hit and miss. This is my first miss.

Attachments

• KIMG0030.jpg
    KIMG0030.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 74
  • KIMG0022.jpg
    KIMG0022.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 70
Back