New engine - YD 100 - doesn’t like hills or going full

lazar26

Local time
7:58 AM
Hey guys I just got my most anticipated motor kit in, I’ve heard lots of good stuff about it! However, after installing and everything it runs great, sounds good (I think there’s a minor air leak somewhere). Would that cause my issue of going up hills? I mean I know it has power, but it just doesn’t want to go. It sounds pretty choppy at higher speeds. I tried adjusting the needle, didn’t do much. It came with 3 gaskets under the jug, was told to run 2. I installed the pistons so the clips faced the intake. 44T sprocket. I also have a viper flex pipe on it.

I’m not in this motor for speeds, I’m mostly in it for its torque for off road use, which currently it doesn’t have as much of. My 66 CG seems to pull way more, and it’s not even broken in.

Attachments

• 77945B27-834E-4D47-BD11-9B3E7A900998.jpeg
    77945B27-834E-4D47-BD11-9B3E7A900998.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
I have 4 bikes with the YD 100 and non have as much torque as the RawRacerII 100 I have. It has got to be something in the bottom end that's different like better balanced crankshaft.

I mean I got the motor kit for around $150 so I was pleased with that much of it. I feel it should have more power to get up a measly hill than a China girl though!! My CG with a 40T pulls 2x as hard as this with a 44T.

After riding it today, it seems much better. However it does four stroke really badly I think is the term. That’s what’s killing my performance I wanna say. So to combat this, I want it to run leaner? I would want to move the carb needle in some way to run it leaner?

After riding it today, it seems much better. However it does four stroke really badly I think is the term. That’s what’s killing my performance I wanna say. So to combat this, I want it to run leaner? I would want to move the carb needle in some way to run it leaner?

Four stroking will occur in a correctly adjusted two stroke engine at full throttle without load or also when the air-fuel mixture becomes overly rich and prevents the engine from running faster.

You will need to do a needle valve adjustment by moving the "C" clip retainer further to the top of the needle.

What position is it in now, and do you live at an altitude which will also effect how we may want to adjust this?...DAMIEN

Move the clip up one notch on the needle. That pipe isn't going to do much for you, I tried one. Basically a fancy muffler.

Move the clip up one notch on the needle. That pipe isn't going to do much for you, I tried one. Basically a fancy muffler.

The pipe did a little bit on acceleration on my China girl, not much for my overall speed. Which is fine, it’s actually quieter than the stock exhaust. Is there a muffler out there that you might recommend for better performance? Many of which I find say they do a lot, but come to find they’re just as you said, fancy.

currently I actually moved the needle down one thinking that would fix it, so I probably made it worse with that, it’s 1 notch above the lowest setting. I’ll raise it up to 1 notch above half (where it was originally and had issues at full throttle) and see what happens there. Also no altitude stuff lol I’m in Wisconsin.

Move the clip up one notch on the needle
Hi Chainlube,

That really depends on where he may have already positioned it already...I have seen where some people have it at bottom or 1 off from the bottom of needle, thinking they were leaning it our...lol...DAMIEN

Back