New engine - YD 100 - doesn’t like hills or going full

Might not be a bad idea to take it apart and put some heavy duty cir clips in the piston. Check the spacing on the cylinder and use a different gasket. Get good premium fuel and mix it real thoroughly. Maybe put a slightly higher temp spark plugs or play with gap. Dunno, just ideas.

Wow, that’s a nice bike Chainlube! However I do not have welding skills, that’s the one shop class I skimped on during high school. Any preference on purchasable pipes? And/or anyone I can PayPal for any spare pipes anyone has here lol..

also I raised the needle (there are 5 notches on my carb needle) to position 2/5, whereas it was at 4/5. Performance top end improved significantly from the short ride I took, however it still four strokes at the top shaking and vibrating abnormally. Would you recommend going 1/5? Note I am running a 20:1 for the break in period currently, not sure if that has much to do with anything.
20:1 is most likely the cause. 32:1 not so bad.

Might not be a bad idea to take it apart and put some heavy duty cir clips in the piston. Check the spacing on the cylinder and use a different gasket. Get good premium fuel and mix it real thoroughly. Maybe put a slightly higher temp spark plugs or play with gap. Dunno, just ideas.
I’ll probably use the soldier squish test here today and see how it goes. It sounds great at idle and seems smooth, no pings or rattles under load, only just high rpm which makes me think it’s just rattle from vibrations. I run a good 91 with a quality 2 stroke oil for the break in.. after the break in is over I plan to go to a 32:1 synthetic.

Did a compression test this morning, that seems bad. I thought newer motors were supposed to have 120+? I am running two gaskets under the jug so maybe that’s it? I wouldn’t think it would have THAT big of an influence.

Put a couple drops of oil in the cylinder and try again. Make sure cylinder is torqued properly and tester is seated in plug hole.

I'd bet that one of the piston clips broke and scarred the cylinder.

I mean, I just ran it about 3 miles and it runs fantastic now. Goes around 30 mph now after I adjusted the carb and pulls pretty hard. I feel if the clips were broken I would have heard that, and it would be thrashing around more metallic sounds.

Last edited:
I mean, I just ran it about 3 miles and it runs fantastic now. Goes around 30 mph now after I adjusted the carb and pulls pretty hard. I feel if the clips were broken I would have heard that, and it would be thrashing around more metallic sounds.
Your probably doing just fine, if no bad noises, plenty of pull power, up to 30 MPH without abusing it...DAMIEN

That’s what I figure, I’ll lay it to rest and drive it regularly. It was at high RPM as I wanted it for break in currently going 30mph. Little rattling at high rpm but figure that’s just my frame, doesn’t really match with RPM. Thanks for all the comments! Helped me a ton!!

Back