New Felt cruiser project.

jim_himself

Local time
3:06 PM
Hello, it has been what feels like forever since I last posted on the site, but Ive been around gathering information. I just purchased a beautiful felt cruiser and can't decide what engine to give it, although it has to be in frame. After my first two sloppy builds, I want this one to be very clean and quieter than my current gp460 screamer:devilish:. I'd love to hear what you guys think I should do as far as the engine and drive go. Thankyou in advance for any and all input.
-jimmy

Attachments

• motostrano_2160_15784703.jpg
    motostrano_2160_15784703.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 2,260
Gosh Jim, is that your bike, or an img of the model?
Nice bike, either way!

Why not buy an inexpensive complete china kit from one of the vendors that post here and do the cleanest job you can, now that you have experience?

Once you get it reliable, then you can begin hopping it up a bit, here and there.

best
rc

For in-frame seems like an EZM 4 stroke kit would be a natural with a smooth and dependable Honda 50.

The pic is off the website, as it hasnt arrived yet. Il put up pics of the actual bike as soon as i get it. It has a three speed hub so i was thinking about a shift kit, but im not sure the crank would work for one. Id like to have pretty good low end to make it a bit more practical.

After taking my gp460 bike for a spin today, ive decided that i really want this bike to be quicker. While the gp460 will pull my bike upwards of 50mph, its low end is really lacking. I don't need this felt to go 50mph, infact 35mph is fine with me as long as i can get good acceleration. Right now it looks like shift kit plus a hopped up china girl is the way to go.

Quickness, aka acceleration, lies in the hands of the shift kit and rear gears. Unsure about the 3-speed hub, but the standard derailleur, chain and 8-speed cassette CAN reliably handle the power of the 4.2 hp+ of a piped GP460 engine.

You could use your GP460 engine and install it center-frame mount, via Scooterguy mount. I ran my 460 like that, after moving it from a friction drive position.

You could also install it center-mount position with shift kit. It would be a custom install, maybe starting with a 4-stroke center mounting plate. The 460 could be centered, but it would need the 5:1 pocket bike gearbox for low gear ratio. With engine centered in the frame, the engine sprocket would be far outboard and not align with the engine chainring sprocket. Then, a jackshaft would need to be used to align the drive chain with the engine chainring.

I'm partial to Scooterguy center mount with shift kit. Using the rear cassette will REALLY take full advantage of the 460's high rpm/narrow powerband. Your bicycle will become a very powerful entry-level quasi-motorcycle. The hills that are problematic now will be manageable at a higher speed than before. Besides that, a Scooterguy mount will allow you to bolt on an SBP expansion pipe. It's not the optimum pipe for the 460, but it fits snugly along the frame.

If you want it easy, a 4-stroke or Happy Time kit would fit better. If you want power, you already know what the 460 is capable of.

Did you ever have any problems with your 460's clutch? My clutch issue was the main reason why I changed from GP460 to Tanaka 47R engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about using the gp460, but decided against it as the bike its currently on is going to be my brothers.
Im considering a morini, but im not sure how i'd make the mounts for it, though im sure the local machine shop could help me figure something out or what i'd do as far as the exhaust. I know the 9.6hp morini would have great acceleration and im leaning toward that option. (i have tons of cash right know since i sold my racing go kart)
As far as the shift kit goes, i thought about it, but with a hopped up happy time, but i dont know if the nexus internal hub will hold up and dont want to break it.
At this point I'm gonna wait tilli have the bike then go from there.
My gp460 hasn't given me a single issue with the clutch. I switched to the clutch saver springs about a week after i got, and they are still holding up after almost 700 miles.

Last edited:
If I had the extra cash, I might consider buying the Boxer SCSw bike with Morini engine. :unsure:

It is a totally engineered package, and will run circles around anything you or I could build ourselves for the same amount of $$.:bowdown:

I like building and designing it myself though, its part of the fun and theres nothing better than riding down the road on something you built primarily with your own two hands, even if you needed some help getting it all together.

I get what you mean. I built all my bikes too, except for a Whizzer that found its way to me.

Good luck on your next project.

Back