New Flyer Posted on my Smart Bus route - No more motored bikes.

bmoody

Local time
6:35 AM
I got on the bus this morning and found these flyers posted.

Scan0012.jpg

It's a bummer.

I think it's common for bus systems to refuse motorized bikes because of the gasoline.

But they seem to be refusing even electrics. There wouldn't seem to be any good reason for that.

over 3 years ago, i was informed (locally) that federal subsidies on mass-transit came with strict "haz-mat" prohibitions that encompassed not only gasoline but batteries of significant size...since the bike is hanging out there in front of the driver, i saw the "logic" and decided that it was a fight not worth fighting.

over 3 years ago, i was informed (locally) that federal subsidies on mass-transit came with strict "haz-mat" prohibitions that encompassed not only gasoline but batteries of significant size...since the bike is hanging out there in front of the driver, i saw the "logic" and decided that it was a fight not worth fighting.

Exactly Augie, know when to pick your battles.

I would be pretty mad tho, if the bike was broke down and there was no gas in it!

That stinks! What about disguising your motor with a pannier or back pack? What's the bust cost? Under ANY circumstances? Scared little rabbits...cry babies.
-Mike

Last edited:
Here in Jacksonville, Fl, most of the city buses are equipped to carry regular bicycles on the front rack. I don't know about motorized bikes or electric bikes. However, most of the buses are also equipped to carry electric wheel chairs with their large battery packs. They are hauled inside the bus with the passenger still in the chair. It looks like the batteries inside the bus would not present any more of a danger than on the front rack.

Here in Jacksonville, Fl, most of the city buses are equipped to carry regular bicycles on the front rack. I don't know about motorized bikes or electric bikes. However, most of the buses are also equipped to carry electric wheel chairs with their large battery packs. They are hauled inside the bus with the passenger still in the chair. It looks like the batteries inside the bus would not present any more of a danger than on the front rack.

They don't want to go anywhere near p*ssing people with disabilities off. Screw the bus anyway, just ride your MB more!

Z06' said:
most...buses...carry electric wheel chairs with their large battery packs.
well, holy cow but i never even thought to think about that. however, i'm sure noone here would begrudge a disabled person transpo just to stir things up...

(z06-lite: when i lived in lake worth, only pedaling back then, i would wait for an hour & the bus's rack would already be full...i hate when that happens!)

SirJake' said:
...just ride your MB...
and there it is, eh? let the pedal'ers have the rack, we're having too much fun :cool:

ps-i've seen a pic of a rack-mount MB on an amtrak...empty, with a bag over the engine...and apparently staff was aware, so that's something for long-haulers to consider.

Last edited:
The batteries in the electric wheel chairs are sealed gel-gels. Even if they get cracked or split open, acid won't be running out of 'em. That's why they can ve carried on board airplanes.

Back