New frame or Not!Need Help deciding!!! HELP PLeASE!!VERY IMPORTANT!

Local time
12:47 AM
Heres the problem. I want to put a motorized engine on my bike. But I have rear disc brakes with no v brakes mount on my frame. So Im contemplating weather I should Just role without back brakes. Then again I believe like 70% of braking power is in the front. So what would you recommend me to do? Just stick with front brakes and rely on the engine's drag as a back brake, or get a new frame, which will be quiet alot of money. Also not to long ago I got this MTB frame, like 1-2 months ago, and all parts are on it. So if i make the change it will be alot of money wasted. What should I do? lol = ) I love the Idea, but I dont want it to drill my pocket. Furthermore, I dont plan to go THAT FAR! with it if I make it, perhaps like 5- 10 miles tops each trip, most likely even less. Will I really Need that back brakes? I even took it off my bike now to see how it might feel, and im not having any problems with anything, when I used my back brakes it locks up so much that it scids dangerously (Avid BB7), there great by the way. Most of the time I use them I scid so usually I use my front. But the thing IM worried about is if I go like 40mph on the motorized bike can I still use my front brake for a gradual slow down. I also have Avid bb7 in the front. There apsolulty great, they stop in any conditions rain, mud, etc. Thats why im not to worried about my front stoping power. In addition, I live in brooklyn, NY which is consistantly flatland, so no elevations . So fellas based on my Dillema do you think I should just stick with the frame I got, or spend some more $ on a new one which I really dont want to.

-Strontium E.

you could swap the rear wheel out for a coaster brake wheel. that way you can still have a rear brake without you disc brake on the bike. just hold on to the disc wheel and rear brake system so you can swap it back in the future.
a lot of people use a coaster brake on the back and move the front brake lever to the right hand side, and put the clutch lever on the left so the motor bike is set up like a motorcycle

you could swap the rear wheel out for a coaster brake wheel. that way you can still have a rear brake without you disc brake on the bike. just hold on to the disc wheel and rear brake system so you can swap it back in the future.
a lot of people use a coaster brake on the back and move the front brake lever to the right hand side, and put the clutch lever on the left so the motor bike is set up like a motorcycle

Nope I cant because I need the disc mount on the hub because thats where I plan to mount the motor sprocket, instead of the stock one. lol nice try .

There is a member of this forum who managed to mount both his drive sprocket and brake rotor to his rear hub and keep the brake operational. I can't remember his name but there are photos of his bike and rear wheel on this site in the gallery section some where. Depending on which motor you are using, mounting the driven sprocket out where the rotor mounts creates chain line problems, as the normal 9 bolt sprocket adapter mounts the sprocket approx. 3/4 in. closer to the center line of the bike.

ocscully

There is a member of this forum who managed to mount both his drive sprocket and brake rotor to his rear hub and keep the brake operational. I can't remember his name but there are photos of his bike and rear wheel on this site in the gallery section some where. Depending on which motor you are using, mounting the driven sprocket out where the rotor mounts creates chain line problems, as the normal 9 bolt sprocket adapter mounts the sprocket approx. 3/4 in. closer to the center line of the bike.

ocscully

Can you elaborate on these problems please? Im going to get a Kings Motor? Will this be a problem?

Can you change the forks to ones that will have v brakes?

Disk brakes are good so the frame you got should work fine. For a guy who just joined today you are impatient to get everyone to help you solve problems.

Disk brakes are good so the frame you got should work fine. For a guy who just joined today you are impatient to get everyone to help you solve problems.

Lol im sorry its just that, I am in a great Rush I want to find out everything really quick before I travel, I want to complete before I travel. Forgive me.

Lol im sorry its just that, I am in a great Rush I want to find out everything really quick before I travel, I want to complete before I travel. Forgive me.
forgiven ;)
I suggest that you spend a little time reading, that's what I've been doing since I joined.
I have used the search on occasion but it doesn't seem to be able to help me find what I'm looking for. I have more luck just reading through the forums and checking out the threads that seem to have some of what I'm looking for which is anything and everything that applies, in even very remote ways, to the 70cc HT engine.
It bears repeating, read read read and then read some more, you will find more info than you can use on your first build.
I hope you get everything running good and have fun on your motor bike

Back