new friction drive build!

hey guys check out my new friction drive build,
motor: 52cc goped motor
kit: bikemotorparts.com with 1.25 inch drive roller

close up.jpg

build1.JPG

Hey that is great. I am going to buy that kit. My wife will moan about it, but she can ride the happytime beach hog. Gas is going up again; you know it. A used 10 speed and a BMP with a good solid Harbor Freight type engine should do for years. Tired of the happytimes.

Which roller are you using. How do you like it?

i got the 1.25 inch drive roller and it does well on the flats but not so good on hills probably because i weigh 260 pounds (and im not even fat!) top speed so far is 18.6 MPH on flats, its currently not working because the carburetor was giving the motor too much fuel flooding it out and the air/fuel screws didnt help, monsterscooterparts is gonna send me another carb for free!, they have the best customer service and ship fast

Masterxs, My First Build Is A Diy Bmp Type Friction Drive With 49cc 2 Stroke Pocket Bike Motor ( Looks Like Your Engine) And The 1 1/4" Free Wheel Roller. With A 180 Lb Rider It Clocked At 35 Mph With My Pickup. When You Get Your Carb Right And Fuel/oil Mix Right You Should Get Over 30 Mph Or More With Your Weight. I Would Recommend The Thin Tire Liners. I Used Slime Tubes, But They Are Heavy. I Like The Bmp Unit And The Service Is Great. He Has Some Great Vid `s On U Tube. The 52cc Should Be A Nice Combo. The Friction Drives Are Simple And I Had No Problems Or Flats With Mine. I Ran Close To 50 Lbs Of Air In The Rear Tire. With 52cc You May Want To Be Gentile With The Throttle. Tires Are Supposed To Last 1500 Miles, But That Is With Smaller Motors. Ron

Sounds like a crappy deal if you only go 18mph tops.

Maybe it just needs a bigger roller. Hahaha the math wizards corrected me. Excuse my drinking!

10000 RPM x 1.5"x 3.14 (close enough?) = 47100 Inches minute
3925 Feet minute
about 44mph assuming no slippage at all, for illustration purposes. Don't you math wizards start flaming.

hahhahaha.
LieblerBeer.jpg
Old drawing of people drinking beer on back patio

EDIT: Yeah, I was wondering! The guy posted above, saying his did about 35 with a pocketbike engine. I thought these things were around 30mph, and probably scary fast with a goped engine and big roller.

Last edited:
It looks like you are doing well with the knobby tires and riding in the mud. All the hype says that these roller drives can't work with knobby tires and slip terribly with any unimproved surface roads.

Tell us more!

hey guys check out my new friction drive build,
motor: 52cc goped motor
kit: bikemotorparts.com with 1.25 inch drive roller

View attachment 26238

View attachment 26237

When we clocked the 49cc friction drive at top speed, i think he was nervous, he had like a speed wobble!! He must have been hanging on too tight! Happy, haven`t had no fun since i quit drinking 14 yrs ago!! Ron

Back