New from Cleveland - possible Huffy Zephyr build

a_d_a_m

Local time
12:08 PM
Hi there. I was referred here by a feller on one of my car forums as I'm planning a motorized bike build. He said you guys know your stuff. :D

I just scored this Huffy Zephyr. Based on some of my research, it's anywhere from a '58 to a '64. Haven't found a serial number yet (and no it isn't on the bottom bracket). The bike has some decent patina, a nice (albeit a little rusty) Troxel saddle, and a working Crown headlight.

RUa3cN8.jpg

Through a possible glitch on fleaBay, I found one of those crappy all-in-one 2-stroke kits for $17 shipped. It's allegedly on the way. Figured I couldn't beat the price, even if I have to swap out mounting hardware for something more substantial, it is a win as long as it runs. If it doesn't run, I'm not out much, and then I can get something a little better. I highly doubt there's room for a 4-stroke in this frame based on some of the dimensions I've taken.

Any of my Ohio pals able to shed some light on registering these? Looks pretty straightforward and no title required - but do I have to run taillights or anything like that? I know I need a mirror.

Anyway, here are a few more pictures, and thanks for having me.

YnBgdHx.jpg

9Luaiur.jpg

4Jt69pc.jpg

Thanks! Right now it's at my buddy's shop having the rear coaster brake looked at - and possibly having the wheels re-laced and new tires/tubes installed, along with a front drum brake.

You might be able to find a number beside the rear drop out, I'm not sure but I've seen a few older bikes with the number there. Could be on either left or right side.

Attachments

• FrameNo.jpg
    FrameNo.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 118
What up, homie!

As far as registration goes, keep your receipts, bring 'em to the BMV (if/when they ever re-open) and explain that you want to register a homemade moped. Repeat that. Then explain it again to the supervisor. Might have to explain what a moped is, and why it's not a motorcycle and doesn't already have a VIN. Eventually they'll figure it out and make up a VIN, like 1234567 on mine. I bet you get the same one, since they're not known for an excess of imagination. Then they'll ask you for about $55.00. You should have a headlight, taillight, license plate light, horn, mirror and turn signals. How much of that you want to put on is up to you, they don't check.

What up, homie!
Hi! Thanks for the tips on the registration. With covid-19, doesn't seem like that's really a priority anytime soon as the BMV registrar offices are all closed. Then again, the bike isn't even ready to build on and I don't have the motor yet...it might all come together at the same time.

Regarding the VIN, would it be possible to use a bike serial number (provided I can actually find one on the frame) or, alternately, stamp my own number on there somewhere?

Bike's SN wasn't good enough for the BMV in Parma, and I had the bill of sale from when the bike was new. I think if you bring your own VIN you'll need a matching title. That ain't gonna happen unless you go thru the whole Highway Patrol inspection rigamarole, in which case it would have to meet motorcycle standards for 2020, including emissions, and that's a big fat nope. Plus you'd have the worry that the bike was stolen back in 1970 and you're suddenly a criminal for claiming to own it now.

Worry about registering it once you see how it rides. It's not cheap and there's little reason to do it. Most MBs around here don't bother, and the gal at the BMV was baffled that I would want a plate for one. Insurance is dirt cheap, though. State Farm hits me up for like $20 a year.

Also, you'll have to lie. Swear up & down that it's only 49cc and won't go more than 20 mph. Any more than that makes it the same as a Harley or Hayabusa in the eyes of the BMV.

I have a pretty casual BMV office near me. They were able to help me plate the '07 CVPI I used to have that, due to the 5-speed conversion, would not pass E-check. (OBD readiness code faulted me) They might be cool about this, too.

Back