New From New England (MA)

bkohler4

Local time
9:37 AM
Hello. I am from the New England area (MA) and am looking for a cheap way to get around this summer. I am looking for dealers in the area, and a bike around the $400 to $600 price range.

I would also like a bike with pegs instead of pedals. From reading the forum it seems like those are not technically motorized bikes but I don't know what else they are.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi bkohler4. Welcome to MBc!
Are you trying to keep the bike style, or do you need a vespa or scooter?

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D}
Here's a great crash course post "link" to get you started.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

I'd like to keep the bike style more than a vespa or a moped. Something along the lines of the picture attached. The big difference would be that I'd be interested with a bike that did not use pedals, and rather had pegs.

p.s. thank you for the link to the crash course

Attachments

• violation_office.jpg
    violation_office.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 146
Welcome, bkohler.

The problem is that if the bike has pegs instead of pedals, it has no means of human-powered propulsion, and is therefore a motorcycle.

A WHOLE different set of laws apply, including requirement for lights, emissions, safety equipment, etc.

I am from from Massachusetts. "According to massachusetts law a "motorized bicycle" (also known as a moped) is defined as a pedal bicycle which has a helper motor, or a non pedal bicycle which has a motor."

so if it had pedal assistance or not it would still fall into the same category for me to register.

I am interested in "a non pedal bicycle which has a motor." Any guidance on this topic is very much appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome to MBc. Well... if you just have an aversion to pedals... I guess there are a couple of things I could say in the way of guidance. 1. You will need something that has a pull-start, kick-start, or electric start. And 2. You will need something that will get you moving from a standing start.
Someone makes a pull-start that will attach to a Happy Time engine, but the clutch might not handle pulling you from a start without excessive wear. A pocket bike engine, a 50cc 4-stroke, or something more performance oriented would probably work. I think I'm the only one around here running an electric start, but in my particular application, I didn't have concerns about weight or width.
Hope this helps.

Back