1:05 PM
i have a 26" roadmaster sport mountain bike
48cc dualstart starfire GT2 grubee
44T sprocket
top speed so far= 28mph easy - stock
average cruising speed 20mph
it will do more but i dont think the bike will hold up
i will be happy to answer questions

Hi, how are you. welcome to the forum. I've been investigating the new grubees. All I have now are friction drives . I was just wondering how many miles you've put on yours so far. It seems like everyone shears off the engine bolts before 1000 miles. Any problems with any of it so far? Thanks

NY,

HI,
Responding cause i am in ny.
Do you have it registered.
It would be considered a moped and you have to get licensed and insured and inspected like a motorcycle.
I live in brewster,ny.
Even if it was legal i would not survive more than a minute,because if you are in the way of traffic you going to get hurt bad.People are in a hurry and not considerate at all!
I do live 3 to 5 miles from CT,and could ride there,it is legal there under 50cc.
THKS RW:unsure:

i dont have it registered and you cant because its not legal to have a motor on a bike in ny.a electric bike is ok,but the one i had was ****,so i said what the **** and i ordered a gas engine kit for the same price as batteries.i live in a small town in upstate ny near the canadian border.the cops dont seem to know i have a engine on my bike or dont care.i slow down and ghost peddal when i see a popo,but i leave the engine on.
i dont ride it crazy or anything,i ride it like a bike,but with a engine and obey bike laws and i like to keep it around 20mph.the day someone takes my hard earned bike with engine will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.it is america after all.

its not considered a moped(looks like a bike) and i ride on side of road and stay away from traffic but im in a small town and stay off of busy roads.

Why are you two making these statements Cabinfever says can't do it in new york and the other guy says you need insurance and inspections, half true not entirely true. I live in staten island part of NYC and I have registered my bike with the DMV and was given a license plate and there is no insurance or helmet or inspection. Where do some of you guys get your information?

the dmv,look up mopeds and bicycles for ny,its not legal to have anytype of engine electric or gas on a bike in ny,to register you need a moped or motorcycle from a dealer or store and registration or title.
my dmv would laugh at me and kick my butt out if i told them i wanted to get plates for a bike with a engine.

if i had a moped it would just need registration(plates)thats it
no insurance or inspection for a class c moped

fm2200 tell us how you did it

Last edited:
There are 3 Classes of registration, under 20mph- regular license,no insurance,helmet,inspection required. Headlight must be on at all times and that's it. Another classification is speeds of 20 to 30 mph are required to have insurance, helmet, annual inspections. The next is the 30 to 40 mph classification, a motorcycle license is required, insurance, inspection,helmet. No other state that I know of has all these different classifications, and in many ways it's fair and equitable. Most states limit you to engine size and speeds no greater than 30 mph, so it's not as tough as a lot of other states have it.

One thing I did not mention you can only have a gas bike approved by the state there are approximately 50 to 60 manufacturers that are on this list. No homemade gas bikes built by kits are allowed, they have to be recognized by the state with a MCO certificate (manufacturers certificate of origin) to get this info you must call 518 474 5282 and he will give you the names of the companies that are approved.

Back