New from Orange County, CA

B

Blaze

I guess this post is about a week late. I have built a couple gas bikes and I just finished a bike with an electic front hub motor. I joined this group from a link in Spookytooth Cycles' web site.

I built a Nirve Switchblade chopper into a gas bike, which required a lot of mods to get it to work. That was probably my biggest motorbike accomplishment. The next thing I am working on is a $25 mod to change a brushless electric motor into a 2-speed motor by installing an extra set of hall sensors with advanced timing, and switching between the two.

There is a lot of good info in this forum and I will try to post new stuff when I think of it. Some of the stuff I have figured out might actually be useful to somebody.

202_image002s_1.jpg

man, i've been waiting to welcome you aboard, blaze...i'm really glad to see the electric-genre finally show up, too :D

i love the engine placement on the nirve...how's the fuel/carb performance at that angle? did you have to modify anything for chain-clearance?

keep the e-drive info coming...i'll be selling those up this way by summer, methinks you can be a huge help 8)

Carb performance wasn't too good at that angle. Lots of leaking, too. The angle on my new setup is perfectly level, but the intake is different. I had to cut the intake in half and stick each half into a section of hose from an auto parts store, and hose clamp it tight. This allowed me to add more angle to the intake and get the carb level. I guess I need to post new photos. There were a few changes before it got reliable.

Hey Blaze, yes the depth of this group never ceases to amaze, nice proportion chop.

wheels

intake

Thanks, wheels.

Augidog, here is what the intake looks like now. As for modifying it for chain clearance, in this photo you can see the huge sprocket that I bolted onto the stock sprocket. I did the same for the pinion in the rear. It's 60t up front and 30t in the rear. That spread the pedal chain apart enough to clear the motor. That, and I ground down the edge of a couple cooling fins, but it didn't take much.

202_intake_1.jpg

that's a really creative tweak on the sprocket, looks nice too...

the intake, did you put some kind of sealer inside? no vibration probs with it?

edit: wait, is that a ziptie on the air cleaner?

Orange County style? Probably not. I'm the only guy in OC that has one like this (at least that I've seen so far- OC is pretty big). And btw, I'm in Orange County, California. A lot of people think this is where they film American Choppers, but that's in Orange County, New York.

Augi, for the intake, there is no sealer and no vibration problems. Just two hose clamps. If the hose slipped off I was gonna grind a couple grooves in to hold it in place, but it's never been a problem. The zip tie is just to keep the hose bent at a good angle. I never really bothered with something more permanent. I guess safety wire would look a lot better and less noticeable.

Back