New from Philly, PA

Xavier

Local time
8:39 AM
Just bought a 48cc Grubee Skyhawk which I expect to receive by the end of the week. I just need a bike to put it on. Any inexpensive suggestions?

Welcome to MBc! There are lots of good choices out there, and Schwinn cruisers seem to be quite popular. So is the Huffy Cranbrook, but beware of the front fender bracket!
Whatever bike you decide on, a front brake would be a must, and a springer front fork will make the ride nicer.
When putting your bike together don't forget that blue Lok-tite is your best friend. These two stroke engines provide more than enough vibration to loosen just about any nut that isn't secured with Lok-Tite.

I would look on CraigsList, see if you can get a real good bike ( used ) for the same price as a cheap Walmart bike... If not Walmart and Target !!!
Oh and Garage Sales sometimes have good bikes..

good advice

great to see yet another pa rider. philly not far from me in allentown. i would have to agree with the advice givin to u by killroy. i use a schwinn myself. an old criuser bike with a steel frame can work well also. but b careful to check frame for straightness. and check the welds. i have bought a couple of good ole steel frame cruisers for cheap.

I ended up grabbing a Schwinn Delmar from WalMart.com for $100 shipped. It arrived today so assembly will begin after work.

Since you're not far from Allentown, you might want to come on up to the Lehigh Valley Motorcycle Extravaganza in Allentown this Saturday or Sunday. Yimmie told me he's going to be there, as will RdKryton and myself. We'll have some of our builds on display, and we sure wouldn't mind talking about the finer points of building a MB.

What do you have, a recruiting center down there Kilroy??? I'm getting jealous... LOL! Lot's of you guy's down there!

Killroy, got any more info on this event? I am a motorcycle rider as well, I own a 2009 Yamaha R6.

As far as the motoredbike, my friend and I got it together and running while the forum was down. Here are some quick pics of it:

4441387919_86514ae6c1_o.jpg
bsbike3.jpg

bsbike2.jpg

Now I just need some better braking options, this coaster brake can be scary!

Last edited:
Looking good! But get yourself a front brake on that. A front caliper would mount right in that pre-drilled hole on the fork.

The show is at the Allentown Agricultural Hall (at the Allentown Fairgrounds) on Saturday from 10 - 6, and Sunday 10 - 4. Here's the link: http://www.pbmproductions.com/page11.aspx

If you're looking to MapQuest it or enter it into a GPS, here's the address:
Allentown Fairgrounds
302 N 17th St,
Allentown, PA 18104

Ok, ended up scavenging a front brake from an old mountain bike which greatly improved my braking... just leaves a lot of brake dust on the rest of the bike, haha.

Went ahead and upgraded the fuel line, installed an in-line fuel filter, upgraded the spark plug and wire/boot. It is time to upgrade the chain today, though, as I broke the stocker. Not quite sure what happened, guess I'll have to look into the alignment. #41 chains fit these motors, right? I'll have to see if my local TSC has them in stock.

Back