New from Tallahassee, Florida

sam03v

Local time
12:53 PM
Hi,

I'll be building a motorized bike using an old steel(no suspension)Trek mountain bike. I think its a 970 model, maybe 950. The motor should arrive this week.

I have a ~40 mile round trip commute to work each day so I was hoping I can ride the bike a few times each week. The ride is asphalt the whole way, a 18 mile straight shot down a rural 55mph road with a wide space between the shoulder and white line, but will be littered with the usual stuff on the sides of roads..gravel , sticks etc. Then I have to navigate a few city streets. Any suggestions out there on what brand/style of tires to use? Right now I've got all terrian knobbies (26 x 2.1) and I'm assuming they will vibrate like crazy on the asphalt at speed.

I'm also concerned about getting pulled over, since I see sheriff patrol cars often during my daily commute. I'm still not totally clear on the rules in the sunshine state. I see people riding bikes occasionally on this road, but not too often, so I definitely will get a second glance. Anyone in the Northwest Florida area have good or bad experiences with the blue lights?

Thanks for reading!

tires

Check into the Specialized tire lineup. they make one with what they call "armadillo technology" - there is a kevlar belt in the tire to reduce cuts and slices. look at "hemisphere armadillo" or "crossroads armadillo". i have an older version of the hemisphere - works great.

Welcome from Boynton Beach, FL!

Since we ride with unmarked motors, if you get pulled over, it's 49cc. Other than that, you're perfectly legal.

Kit type

I just received the kit from King's motors. Hopefully I'll have it put together this weekend...

thanks for the replies

Welcome from Tallahassee, FL.

What part of town do you live on?

I just built a motored bike and have been trying to break it in. How has your experience been so far?

Back