New Geezer on the Block

mikem

Local time
6:04 AM
Hello,
Hope I'm doing this right ... my first post so please bare with me. I'm looking for advice on my first motorized bike. I'm an active 200 pound, 61 year old Michigan geezer who would like to putz around a bit on a motorized bike ... just to and from the store and a little cruizing around town ... trips would average 20 miles. Mainly I'd be riding good black top roads with very little in the way of hills. Does anyone have any experience with putting a motor on Schwinn's 3-wheel Meridian (or other similar 3-wheelers)? I'm thinking of a front-wheel, friction drive system like the Robin Subaru 35 four-storke. Any advice on the pro's and con's would be much appreciated.
Mike in Michigan

Last edited:
Good to see another (Geezer) I am just behind you I was born in 49. I think all of what you have as an idea looks good, the only thing you should consider is the (friction) or (belt). I like the friction for its simplicity, you could be riding in about an hour. The belt on the other hand will not slip in the wet and is easier on the tires. I would not consider any engine smaller than the 35, yours and the 3 wheeler weight. You will not be able to push for speed (three wheels) but you need the torque. If this is your first build, make room for another, this is an addicting hobby, LOL. Have fun, Dave

PS: The four stroke will keep the fumes out of your face. Your motor up front, not much in the way of smell.

Michigan's my home state. (Hillsdale County, directly south of Jackson)
It's always good to hear from another Michigander.

The thing that has me wondering about the bike you described is will 20 miles be too much for a three wheeler? After all, you won't be able to ride it very fast.

Hey Egor,
Thanks for the quick reply (don't worry ... turning 60 ain't no biggy!).

I hadn't thought about getting fumes in the face with a front wheel mount?! Hopefully the 4-stroke and a little wind will fix that problem ... or have you found it to be a big problem?

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'll be building a second two wheel bike. Actually that was plan #1 but then I thought about the extra carrrying space on the 3-wheeler. But I might bypass the 3-wheel idea if I hear from enough riders that it's not as much fun in realaity as it is in my day dreams.

Thanks again for your input ... much appreciated. Hope we have the chance to "talk" again.
Mike

Hi Mountainman,

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Subaru. I've heard only good things about it so far. I like the cast iron sleeve and the 4-storke. Wish they made a 49cc!

Hope to "talk" again sometime.
Mike

Hey bluegoatwoods,

I know right where Hillsdale county is ... used to pheasant hunt there in the 70's. Had a great time with good friends and good dogs!

Do you think a 20 mile round trip on a 3-wheeler might be too long? I wonder about that but have read of 2-wheelers taking much longer trips. I know the weight factor can make all the difference but don't know where the "line" is.?

Thanks for the reply.
Mike
PS It's really cold up here right now ... snow, ice and wind!!! ... so I've got pleanty of time to solve my "bike puzzle".

Last edited:
Welcome to MBc. Another problem with friction drive is that they don't handle wet conditions very well at all. I ride my 3-wheeler to work and back regularly, and I work 32+ miles from here. No problemo, but my trike is a bit extreme.

Thanks Alaskavan

Thanks for the welcome Alaskavan.

I googled WhizzWheelz Zoomer ... wow! ... quite a tricycle! Never thought I'd say this but I think I envy your ride to work!

Compared to your Zoomer the Schwinn Meridian I'm considering looks a little tank-ish but for some reason I seem to be leaning that way lately. I'm sure its low price has a lot to do with it. It's the cheapest trike I've seen that looks like it will carry me around but I have to admit I think it even looks cool. I guess that's the geezer in me coming through! Doubt it would outrun the Alaskan grizzlys but I'm hoping it will get me to Wallyworld and back on a sunny day!

Thanks again ... nice talking to you.

Back