New guy from Michigan

T

tirebiter

Hi I'm George from SW Michigan. I go to Bonneville every year and help out with a race car and a pit vehicle of some kind is a necessity out there. The starting line is 4 miles from where we pit so a motor bike is perfect. I built one early last winter but a friend saw it and wanted it bad enough he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. This is the second one I built and I've put quite a few miles on it so far. It's a 48cc but it pulls my 230 lbs around pretty good. I had an 80cc on it but the 48 is almost as fast and doesn't vibrate so much. I just putt at about half speed anyway.

186832184.jpg

Hey George, welcome to the forum. Good to see you over here, and the bike looks great!

SteveH from T&TTT

completely ga-roo-vy bike, tirebiter 8)

so, whatta ya think, should we all converge on "the flats" someday?

OMG that bike looks sweet - I would love to open mine up on a big open flat like that...

Hi Steve, and thanks guys. I've had a lot of fun with this bike. I'd like to start working on a chopper type bike this winter if I find time.

There was quite a few bikes with engines on them on the salt this year. These bikes are some friends that were pitted next to us. I think a couple of them are Nirves. The motorcycle is a 60 something Jawa. There is about anything you can think of with a motor on it out there.

213465730.jpg

Hey George, e-mail me...I'd like to tell you some stories about trying to put a motor on a chopper bike. You really need to know this stuff!

Steve said:
Hey George, e-mail me...I'd like to tell you some stories about trying to put a motor on a chopper bike. You really need to know this stuff!
Yeah, I saw that you had quite a time with your bike. I'm just using a Stingray that I got for $25 on Black Friday last year. They're not too bad to make work. I've got the offset mount and I'll bolt the sprocket to the rear hub. A little cutting and welding and I don't know what I'll come up with. Here's a pic of it when I was building a setback seat post so the saddle sits where I want it to. I was just mocking things up to get ideas. I've got a few different front ends I can use. The one I'll probably use is a springer I got from Alan at Choppers US. I want to use some really tall and wide ape hangers. I plan to work on it this winter if i get time. I'm working on a camping trailer when I can too.

130358463.jpg

Hey George, good to see you here. That is a great pic of the Nirves in Bonnaville, I currently working on somthing simmilar. On your chopper project, You may run into size problems with your Choppers US fork. Their fork an 1 1/8" and I think that the Stingray headtube is 1" although it would look cool as hell on there....Kelly

Hi Kelly :D The stingray head tube is 1 1/8. I've had the front end on the bike and it looks pretty good. The only problem I've got running it is that I'll be running the bike on the salt and that is too nice of a front end to get salt on it. I might set it up with two different sets of forks...one for Bonneville and the springer for everything else. Haven't decided yet. :? I'll probably clear a spot in the shop and do some work on the bike after Christmas.

I know you got one of those springers on the same sale I did. Have you put it on a bike yet?

Back