New guy trying to find a legal way to ride

N00dle Rider

Local time
12:55 PM
Hi I'm Fernando and Im looking for a legal way to ride my bike without getting hasseled by cops. My kit is on its way so I haven't actually ridden it yet but I've always been unlucky ini the past with cops.. its like im a cop magnet or something. Im trying to find a legal way to be able to ride this in Ontario, Mississauga area. I tried calling the MTO and they had no clue so they sent me to the head office and they asked me to fax in a request so that I could register it as they didn they didnt have forms for this type of vehicle. Looks liek I may need to get my M and pay insurance too! I dont mind that but I hate the fact that they arent prepered for situations liek this. Anyone else successfully register their bikes in Mississauga?

Hi I'm Fernando and Im looking for a legal way to ride my bike without getting hasseled by cops. My kit is on its way so I haven't actually ridden it yet but I've always been unlucky ini the past with cops.. its like im a cop magnet or something. Im trying to find a legal way to be able to ride this in Ontario, Mississauga area. I tried calling the MTO and they had no clue so they sent me to the head office and they asked me to fax in a request so that I could register it as they didn they didnt have forms for this type of vehicle. Looks liek I may need to get my M and pay insurance too! I dont mind that but I hate the fact that they arent prepered for situations liek this. Anyone else successfully register their bikes in Mississauga?

I would be cautious... A guy built a REALLY nice motorized felt that was denied by your government.

He spend a long time building a compliant "motorcycle" out of his bike complete with a battery system, taillights, a headlight... everything required by your government to be road worthy. Went to get the license and they basically told him to bug off.

I dont want to be negative,

Wow why am I not surprised... *sigh* you try and follow the law and do it the right way but the government just forces you do the wrong way... I guess I'll just have to find another route to ride it.. any suggestions?

you wouldn't happen to know who that was would you? Id like to ask him what he did and how he went about trying to get it licensed.

I live in Ontario too and know how frustrating it can be trying to get around the law for motorized bicycles. Even if you can make it road legal the last time I checked you still have to get a motorcycle license to drive it. It sounds like a lot of trouble for gas powered bicycles. I suggest getting an electric bike instead I hear they are legal in Ontario up to a 500 watt motor and even if they weren't legal at least they're still quiet enough not to attract any attention.

I know the cost of a good electric bike and the distance you can travel is not as good as gas powered bike, but it sure beats not having the cops on your back where ever you go.

If you don't know about them already Cyclone makes some awesome electric bike kits.

yeah electric bikes are legal here but I hate the fact that the range on those things is terrible, I don't want to have to worry about pushing the ebike home after a long ride because it ran out of battery, plus im 6'2" ,260 lbs and look silly on those things. Ontario just has to wreck it for us.. I wonder if its legal to ride it without using the motor? can they bust you if you're not actually running the motor?

vtec i just read through the thread.. thanks for the link. man that sucks big time. There's got to be a way around this.. I'd buy a motorcycle but my I'd never get it past my wife.. this is as close as I can ever get..

Suit your self, but if I have have a choice I just prefer not having to dodge cops all the time. I can't see you getting pinched for riding your bike without using the motor, but then again I don't trust cops and it's your word against theirs. It also defeats the purpose for having a motor on your bicycle in the first place. As for them having to ruin it for us, I totally agree 100% the whole thing is BS.

If you think it's bad now just wait. They already been talking about making everyone get a license just to ride a plain old peddle bike. It will happen too, if it's on the table that means it won't go away until it's passed. However this won't stop me from riding my bike, they can stuff it!!!

Geez.. what next? I need to get a permit to buy sneekers so I can walk down to the corner store to buy milk? you think there are more important laws they could concentrate on but no.. riding bikes and bike citations is a priority for some suite downtown. Is there anywhere legal we can ride these bikes? (aside from your own property which is useless to me as I live in a condo. and not a 30 acre farm)

Back