New guy with a Whizzer question.

WhizzersAreCool

Local time
2:15 AM
I'm considering purchasing this Whizzer:

image.jpg

The seller says it is a 1947 but my limited understanding is that Whizzer didn't start making complete bikes until June 1948. Also it's a J motor which they didn't make until 1948.

Also it has 26 x 1.75 tires on it. Wouldn't it have had balloon tires?

Anything else I should be looking for?

Can you show us more pictures of the details, such as engine close-ups? You're correct the tires should be 26 x 2.125. The J engine was sold as a kit so it could have been installed on any balloon tire bicycle.

On the rear frame forks where the belt passes near the frame members, are the members indented on the inside to provide extra belt clearance? They would be if it a was a Schwinn factory built frame fabricated especially for Whizzer engine kits. The engine kits were installed on many standard, i.e., non-indented frames too.

No carburetor?

Thanks for the reply. Since I posted this I've talked with Mike at The Whizzer Works. With the serial number of the engine and the serial number on the frame we have confirmed it is a kit. The engine is a 1949 and Mike says the frame is 4/10/51. However when I look up the serial number on the internet I get a Chicago Schwinn made between Jan 14 and Jan 16, 1953.

I was wrong about the tires they are the correct 2.125 balloon tires. When I see the bike again I'll look for indents on the frame. Given what I know at this point, I don't expect to see any.

Good catch on the carburetor. The seller just had it rebuilt and hadn't reinstalled it at the time the photo was taken.

Thanks for your help.

Looking for a 90's model Whizzer manual

Looking for a 90's model Whizzer motor bike manual for my father. I checked ebay and I found this site. I am not exactly sure how this site works so please bear with me. Any suggestions?

Back