New Hampshire MB Law



It's so location dependent.

I am over here in Keene, southwest corner of the state. I have a centermount 80 cc, and a rear mount DAX Titan. Have been riding the centermount for going on 3 years now - the DAX is going on a year old.

Never had a problem, pass by cops all the time. I originally took the centermount to th DMV in Keene, to make sure it was legal. The clerk showed me a photocopy of something that looked like a Whizzer, I think it was just a centermount. "Look like this ?" I said yes - she said "Its legal".

One time I thought I would try to get the centermount VIN'd so I could register it. Went up along side route 101 where the cop does it on Tuesdays or sometime - normally for salvage guys trying to get VINs for restored wrecks. He told me without suspension, and directionals he wouldn't do it - I needed to take it to Manchester or somewhere.

If I could get it registered, I could take it with me to Canada, as mopeds registered in the U.S. are grandfathered in Canada. Although now after some discussion, I suspect the Mounties (described as FBI in a squad car) might not look too kindly on my efforts, legal or otherwise, to twist the Canadian truth...

I wish it WAS cleared up. I have seen / heard "5 horse" also. Holy **** - I don't need to go any more than the 30 limit, but think of the torque - I could climb Mount Monadnock (and trailer my dog).

I am concerned - their are more of us on the road every day I think. All it takes is for someone to get hurt (a kid or something), and the confusion over the legislation would clear up real quick.

alias BigKid
Your little 80cc two stroke is only a 2hp max lawn mower engine in reality so no it does even pass as a moped which are more powerful and faster.



Is a driver license requirement? I lost mine and really dont want an ebike
Last edited by a moderator:


Sep 5, 2011
Is a driver license requirement? I lost mine and really dont want an ebike

* Motor-driven Cycle License: This license type allows you to drive any moped, motor scooter, bicycle with motor attached and small motorcycle with no more than five (5) horsepower.

* Moped License: This license type allows you to drive a moped only. To be classified as a "moped", a vehicle must meet all of the following:
* Not require the driver to shift gears.
* Have a motor not more than two (2) horsepower or 50 cc. in size.
* Not be able to go faster than 30 MPH on level ground.

* You need a special moped license to drive a moped only if you don't hold any other class of license. If you already hold an operator, CDL, motorcycle or motor-driven cycle license you can also drive a moped.

License application form: