New Hampshire MB Law

Axlerod

Local time
4:48 AM
I just talked w/ NH DMV about Motorized Bicycles. I was told bicycles w/ motors < 5 HP do not require registration.Woo Hoo.!

Sat Apr11 while riding my bicycle w/ attached motor N on Rt 1A in Hampton, NH I was cited for unregistered moped. RSA261:44, carries a hefty fine of $100.My friend also on MB was also charged . We ended up pedalling South ~ 5 mi back to our truck.

In NH the law seems rather vague concerning MB's, but there are some Regulations Statutes & Ammendments (RSA's) that apply. Specifically RSA259:65 defines Motor-driven cycle. Besides motorcycles & motorscooters < 5 HP, bicycles w/ attached motors are defined. Here Mopeds are excluded as Motor Driven cycles , yet are defined as such in the following RSA. Mopeds are defined in RSA 259:57. Mopeds are required to be registered & to display a small metal license plate. There is no other mention of Motor driven cycles as far as I can tell, gas or electric.

There is a section that discusses self balancing Electric vehicles. It seems to refer to the expensive & eccentric Segways. Well NH is the home of these strange contraptions so why not.
Maybe we can pursuade our foreign creditors to purchase millions of them.

I have requested written notice from the state.

In NH, you have three classifications for 2/3 wheelers
  • Motorcycles: engine power 5HP or more
  • Motor Driven Cycles: Engine power less than 5 HP. Can include Bicycles with attached motors.
  • Mopeds: A more restrictive subset of Motor Driven Cycles, with engine power less than 2 HP, 50cc max, no shifting, and max speed on flat 1 mile run is 30 MPH. (This description could also include bicycles with motors attached...)

The key may be NH's definition of VEHICLE. A VEHICLE requires registration, whereas a non-vehicle does not.
New Hampshire said:
""Vehicle'' shall mean:
I. Except as provided in paragraphs II and III, every mechanical device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a way, excepting devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks;
II. [Repealed.]
III. When used in the provisions of RSA 264, the same as paragraph I of this section, but not including bicycles and mopeds (my bolding).
So, a motor driven cycle would require registration, but, a moped might not. If your MB meets all the requirements for moped, then, you MAY be able to avoid the fine. But, if it doesn't, you've got a 'motor driven cycle...' :-( (at least in NH, you do.) (However, RSA264 deals with "Accidents and Financial Responsibility...")

RSA 261-80 says
RSA 261-80 said:
The department shall furnish without charge to each person whose moped is registered a number plate of a suitable design which design shall be different from the design of motorcycle number plates.

Like most states... something of a mish-mash.

Last edited:
RSA261:44 deals with repricosity. I think you mean RSA2612:40
RSA 261:40 said:
Except as otherwise provided, it is a violation for any person to drive or any owner or custodian to knowingly permit or cause to be driven on the ways of this state any vehicle which is not specifically exempt by statute or rule from the requirement of registration, unless the same has been registered and the appropriate fee paid in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. The fine for a violation of this section shall be $100.
At that, be glad you're not in AZ... ours are defined as bicycles, but, the speeds are 20 MPH, and if you exceed that, it's a MUCH larger fine. (larger fine for unregistered motor vehicle, plus fines for uninsured M.V.)

Last edited:
Did some more digging. Go to Saf-C 500, then search for MOPED, and MOTORCYCLE. It discusses registration/plate requirements for mopeds and motorcycles.

It looks like the NH DMV office steered you wrong. I think your only alternative is to tell the judge what they had said, and show them RSA 259:122, which might muddy the water enough to show the judge that you tried to get a plate beforehand...

i just say, if you can actually get the registration, just get it, it will save you life times of headaches. Thats what i did to my bike, even though MA does require anything with a motor to be registered, i got the registration without doing the research, because i dont want to deal with the BS. the registration saved my but this past weekend when i was riding in NH and got pulled over.

Not Guilty

I'm hoping not to have to go to court. This is the State of NH, which needs to make the rules clear. I have contacted the Director of Registration @ the DMV ,
& hope to soon have a response. I do have an e-mail dated
June 15, 2009 from the Supervisor of Burea of Registration, NH DMV, that states " The DMV does not currently register Electric Vehicles. " I got a copy from the owner of E-Bikes of New England, in Derry, NH. They have a nice collection of electric bikes , & it's a nice place to test ride. ( I have no commercial connection w/ these fine folks). There is no mention of electric bikes in the RSA's , yet DMV Authorities have made a clarification concerning E-Bikes. So why not Motorized Bicycles?

Thanks for the note Lou. RSA 261:40 is the one that applys.

Corey perhaps just getting a moped sticker is the easiest thing to do. Maybe I will get some moped tags on my gas power bikes after all this. But it would be best if the State makes the rules clear. Stay tuned. George

how do i reg in mass>?

Just fill this out and bring it to the RMV.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/20017.pdf

When I went to register mine, the woman didn't check any of the documentation so it was quite easy to get one. I went to the rmv in downtown Boston because they are the busiest and therefore the least likely to scrutinize the paperwork.

Oh yeah...and you have to have a license to get one.

Requirements listed here:

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/7moped.htm

Last edited:
NH Update/ Court Date

I have been trying to get some clarification on NH MB Law from the DMV. The good news is there are some people there that are aware of the problem. The bad news is I have a court date next Month.
Since getting cited Apr 10, I have been trying to get clarification on NH Law. On following Tues. met w/ town DMV. Was told Reg. not req for MB. They called NH DMV got same response. I asked if I could have something in writing, & was refered to the RSA's Regulations Statues & Ammendments. I have spent hours reviewing the pertinent RSA's, & there seems to be a lot of room for interpretation concerning MB's. The next week I called NH DMV 3 times. If you leave a message they will call back. 3 different folks from DMV told me , No reg. req. for MB., but I was not able to get something in writing. I did get an e-mail address for supervisor. I sent e-mail explaining the problem & asking for clarification about Law. after 1 week no response. I sent another e-mail & called
after leaving several msgs. got to talk w/ another agent. I was told again no Reg req, but when I requested for something in writing, I was told you have 2 options send another e-mail or call NH State Troopers & have them call Hampton PD to stop pulling over MB's. I still havn't tried this, it seems like grass roots Law Enforcement. I asked why NH DMV couldn't do this , & was reminded of my 2 options. Three weeks pass w/ no response. I again left several msgs @ NH DMV explaining situation. After playing phone tag for most of the morning, I finally got a DMV rep. This person really seemed like they wanted to help, but was not sure if a Reg. was Req. for MB's. I finally got an e-mail from supervisor. I replied w/ more info & pic's of two of my MB's.
Hopefully this will result in some clarification about Law.
Frustrating yes, waste of time? I hope not. The laws need to be clear, if not
confusion will result.

Back