New Hampshire MB registration as a Moped

motorvehicle safety inspection required!?!

Hi all,

FYI I just returned from the Dover Point DMV, where I was told I need to have a DMV safety inspector check out and approve my motorized bicycle before it can be registered as a moped. They gave me a blue inspection form and a phone number to call to see if I can get someone out to my place to look at it on-site.

Just be aware that apparently, depending on the DMV station and clerk you see, you may get widely varying responses on registration here in NH. I suppose I will just ride the thing for now, and hope for a warning if the local police don't like it.

I would try another DMV or a different day when that clerk isn't there. As with any government employee some just want to hassle the **** out of you. Sorry to hear it though.

This is pretty much in sync with other stories I've heard and read about people dealing with various government agencies. The laws are so numerous and convoluted that even the government employees can't keep it straight. The inspection probably isn't bad, probably just a quick check over to make sure they're not registering some really wacked out overly dangerous machine. But still, for a vehicle weighing in at less than 100lbs an inspection shouldn't be necessary.

The clerk who told me I needed a safety check actually knows my ex-wife. Hmmm... lol!

What they gave me was a small blue form (no form number, just a half-size sheet under the Bureau of Title and Anti-Theft). the clerk told me I needed to have someone from Highway Enfrocement come out and look at it. Looking at it more closely, it appears this form is just for them to verify the make, model, style, VIN, etc, and to verify that I haven't altered or made up some fake VIN. There's nothing on the form regarding "safety inspection" per se, although I suppose if the officer refuses to sign the form, that pretty much says it all.

I am considering trying another DMV station before having them come out to look at my bike. I will you all know how it goes. Ozzy, fyi it was the Dover Point DMV in Dover, NH.

Last edited:
At least call and see whats involved. I listed all the bikes features that made it compliant as a moped when i went to register. its not hard to have head, tail and brake lights.

Hey, there might be another reason to register these things.

I have a summer place up in New Brunswick CA, and would love to take my motorbike up there as gas now translates to 5.30 a gallon up there (we think we have it bad), and is going up obviously.

I went to the service center of NB (their DMV) and asked them first how to bring a moped up. They told me, that as long as it was registered as a moped in the US, then you could drive it indefinitely in Canada. Just keep the registration up to date.

So if I can register my MB's as mopeds, and take them up (think I might drive them over the border, or at least try !) that would be WICKED cool. And having lights and turn signals would probably make it OK with the mounties up there. I don't want to push it, stay off the main roads, don't ride at night, etc.

Has anyone had any experience with this ? I am psyched

cb

You don't specifically need turn signals for a new hampshire registered moped. I think as long as the registration was up to date you're only bound to install the equipment required by your home state. And adding your own homebuilt electrical system is just about as fun as building the mechanical parts of the MB, to me anyways.

If it's legally registered here and you're displaying a plate and have all the legal doo-dads for your home state they really can't say otherwise. It would be a moped, a very lightweight moped, but just a moped in the eyes of the mounties (RCMP)

Back