New Hampshire MB registration as a Moped

If all goes well, I will be seen putt-putting on local sideroads within the next week.

This thread kind of sums up the frustrations I have encountered trying to figure out the legal status of a motor assisted bicycle. Every government official gives a different answer of which they all make sense and none of them make sense, mostly because the laws do not seem to make sense. When I asked my own local vehicle registration desk whether I needed to register a motor assisted bicycle their answer was fairly direct; "I don't know".

By my interpretation, it is definately no longer considered a bicycle after adding a motor. It appears that you can register it as a moped if you wish, but if you leave it as an unregistered 'motor driven cycle' you are NOT limited by the moped restrictions regarding transmission, engine size, and horsepower nor by moped equipment requirements. I spent some time searching http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/indexes/default.html but could find nothing that really governs motor assisted bicycles.

One thing that confuses me is that the definition of "Motor Driven Cycle" seems to exclude mopeds, yet the definition of "Moped" refers to it as a subset of motor-driven cycles. Registering as a moped would eliminate any doubt in the eyes of potentially hostile gendarmes. Personally I plan on printing out all applicable laws to carry around with me in case the conversation comes up, but only register it upon demand and under protest.

I hope nobody minds me hitting this older thread but it was what I was looking for, except without an authoritative conclusion that I can reconcile with the printed legislation. Does anybody have knowledge of relevant case law or where one would search for it?
http://www.nh.gov/government/laws.html said:
259:6 Bicycle. - "Bicycle'' shall mean every pedaled vehicle propelled solely by human power upon which any person may ride, except child's tricycles and similar devices.

259:57 Moped. - "Moped'' shall mean a motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less which is equipped with a motor that produces 2 brake horse power or less; if an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement shall not exceed 50 cubic centimeters and the power-drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.

259:65 Motor-driven Cycle. - "Motor-driven cycle'' shall mean any motorcycle or motor scooter with a motor which produces not to exceed 5 horse-power, and any bicycle with motor attached, but not including mopeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awfully funny wording, and it goes to show how important the use of commas is.

From the way I'm reading it, it sounds like mopeds are NOT motor vehicles, but bicycles with a motor attached ARE motor vehicles. I'm sure that's not the way it was intended to sound, but it does to me.

I think that the laws limiting top speed should be changed. Most any car is capable of 90+ mph speeds, but the speed is limited by the posted limits. Should we limit the maximum speed of cars to 65mph with gearing?

Maybe a motorized bike should be defined like this: "A motorized bicycle is a bicycle frame with a gasoline engine or electric motor attached. If an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement shall not exceed 50cc. If an electric motor is used, maximum output is limited to 1.5 kW. The system shall not require the operator to shift gears. The pedals must remain operational. The maximum speed a motorized bicycle is to be driven is 25 mph regardless of posted speed limits. Motorized bicycles must adhere to the same traffic laws as mopeds/motorcycles. No license or registration is required to operate a motorized bicycle. The minimum age to operate a motorized bicycle is 14. Any operator under the age of 17 is required to wear a bicycle helmet."

Here in NJ, it looks like a motorized bicycle is considered a moped and must be registered/insured. That's hogwash. It's these laws that killed the moped in the first place. Mopeds were a very common sight in the 70's and early 80's here in NJ. Don't see them much anymore because by the time you can ride a moped, it isn't long before you get your drivers license. Add to that the perception that mopeds are dangerous, and you have sales going down the toilet. (at least as a way for a young adult to get around)

hi, i am just wondering if you got a special moped license? and how do you get one? that may be an option to you?

I think that the laws limiting top speed should be changed. Most any car is capable of 90+ mph speeds, but the speed is limited by the posted limits. Should we limit the maximum speed of cars to 65mph with gearing?

Maybe a motorized bike should be defined like this: "A motorized bicycle is a bicycle frame with a gasoline engine or electric motor attached. If an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement shall not exceed 50cc. If an electric motor is used, maximum output is limited to 1.5 kW. The system shall not require the operator to shift gears. The pedals must remain operational. The maximum speed a motorized bicycle is to be driven is 25 mph regardless of posted speed limits. Motorized bicycles must adhere to the same traffic laws as mopeds/motorcycles. No license or registration is required to operate a motorized bicycle. The minimum age to operate a motorized bicycle is 14. Any operator under the age of 17 is required to wear a bicycle helmet."

Here in NJ, it looks like a motorized bicycle is considered a moped and must be registered/insured. That's hogwash. It's these laws that killed the moped in the first place. Mopeds were a very common sight in the 70's and early 80's here in NJ. Don't see them much anymore because by the time you can ride a moped, it isn't long before you get your drivers license. Add to that the perception that mopeds are dangerous, and you have sales going down the toilet. (at least as a way for a young adult to get around)

I like your definition the best, RC. I'd just change 25 to 30, and make it a STRICT 30MPH!! Kinda like AZ does... not 1 mph over, otherwise you fall into license, registration, , motorcycle level requirements, etc.

Good start for sure, tho.

Back