New handlebar grips...beware!

G

go you good thing

Went to the bicycle shop and bought some really nice grips pretty much colour coded to my bikes colours.

No big deal to install them; Removed the old ones (originally from the kit). The new ones were a little tight so went and boiled some water to expand them a little for easy install. Could get the left one on but when I tried to install the twist throttle side it would not go on.....I tried all the tricks used a small amount of grease etc. and gave up. No way was it going to fit. :devilish:

I then realised that I needed grips from a motor bike shop to make this work. Got some from the Yamaha supplier near me (not as stylish as the bike shop grips however) and they went on without a problem as the throttle side has a bigger hole diameter.

The most annoying thing was that I have 4 motor bikes and did not realise. :( I hope this helps anyone that is looking to get some nice grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike shop guy gave me a trick: when I replace the handle grips, I spray on Woman's Hair Spray, which lubricates just enough to slide them on, then the spray "sets" the grip to prevent it from moving around.

Great idea but I am not sure if I can explain having a can of hair spray along with the other stuff in my tool kit. :D

Sure beats the old tricks like tapeing up the bar to make it fatter or twisting a band of wire around it. :cool:

As with any piece of Bike Magic, HIDE the can on the back shelf, and do the razzle dazzle when the client has his back turned.

Question is: how is the Crocadile Dundee image going to hold when breaking in a hot Pink or banana Yellow ladies model ??

Here is a tip...

Use the Grip that came with the kit.. You know..The extra grip that came for the left side. Use this left side grip for the throttle since it has the smaller hole. The throttle grip seems to slide off pretty easy, Submerge left grip into some water and microwave 2.5 mins. Spray inside of grip and plastic sleeve with some slightly soapy water or 409 and slide it onto the Plastic sleeve while warm. Once it cools, it will be solid !! Enjoy the ride...

bamabikeguy said:
Question is: how is the Crocadile Dundee image going to hold when breaking in a hot Pink or banana Yellow ladies model ??

bamabikeguy, mate, I'll just tell the missus that her girly coloured bike will not be suitable for a motor and that she will have to pick a different bike. I will repeat the process untill she likes a blue, black or red one.

thatsdax said:
Use the Grip that came with the kit.. You know..The extra grip that came for the left side. Use this left side grip for the throttle since it has the smaller hole. The throttle grip seems to slide off pretty easy, Submerge left grip into some water and microwave 2.5 mins. Spray inside of grip and plastic sleeve with some slightly soapy water or 409 and slide it onto the Plastic sleeve while warm. Once it cools, it will be solid !! Enjoy the ride...

thatsdax, unfortunately the grip I got in my kit is too short and I feel like I am bunching my fingers on the shaft, and ya know that us Croc Dundee types are not used to that!

i bought foam grips and just streached the throttle side a little silicone and voila it's tight...i go for comfort and safty before looks

Back