New here from Australia. Just acquired 200w street legal motorised bicycle.

Excellent thread Devil! Great advice from Wolf and all.

I have been a motorcyclist for 40 years but found the transition to bicycle difficult.
Careful "seat time" will change that and I found all Wolf's advice very true.

As for general de-restricting and getting up to speed and fuel efficiency:
1) match the intake gasket (but not the port, a step here is good)
2) sand or cut a "Squish Area" into the cylinder head and sand its gasket surface to get 1mm clearance
3) Some careful widening of the cylinder ports will help. Don't make them taller.
4) port match the exhaust pipe and gasket to the cylinder
5) Tuned exhaust pipes are "Da Bomb" but I found this worked well and is quieter than stock:
http://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/exhaust-system/chrome-exhaust-muffler.html
(quieter, inoffensive looking and made good power compared to other stock exhaust systems)

As well, I'd suggest
1) pedaling at all times while riding
2) shutting motor off and pedaling around pedestrians on shared use trails and in residential areas
3) keep the speed down in appropriate areas.

It is our behaviour that gets us noticed by the police.
Loud pipes, engine only riding, excessive speed, no safety gear, and aggressive driving will get us noticed and pulled over.
It is only at this point that most police will start picking the bike apart for legalities.
Unless of course some previous motorized biker has already soured his attitude toward us.
We are all in this together folks...

Steve

Re the urban noob on a bike, been there recently too.

my 2c, muck around in quiet a parking lot, take u time, repetition, simulate as many situations as may happen on road, fears, brakes, observe behind, pretend car doors open in front etc. play soccer w/ u self?

get it all familiar and reflex, or risk getting muddled in a crisis

read the road. if a tricky bit approaching & am as fast as cars, NO AMBIGUITY. I ownthe lane. Dont trust the judgement of morons.

at all other times, i am courteous & happy to go last. I dont even have a bell & would feel rude asking. i doodle around them somehow at their speed til it clears.

if u love the petrol bike, u will swoon over electric if it suits. so much nicer. get a mid-drive

roads are safer and preferred, but if an unused path is free, i get out of the way and use it - a busy grade e.g

ride the wrong way works for me often. u can see whats coming & avoid - + i have a dog running along so i consider his needs too when deciding - best we stay on same side, & i share w/ pedestrians more also cos o this.

yeah look behind is scary, but get over/familiar w/ it. I dont have mirrors, not tried, but i get by fine?

a revelation and godsend for me, especially in busy lower speed traffic, is how cool standing on one leg, fully upright is, on my pedaling optional ebike (just work the throttle).

I see over the cars, around corners, stability at a crawl speed like u r walking, turn on a dime. Looking behind/twisting is a snack. Any bumps are perfectly shared by both wheels and leg.

my bike is 30kg & i am 75kg, so how good is having that weight majority, centered, shiftable ballast, and low?

Eny one on the wrong side of the road is a idiot. If can't go with the traffic then get off the road. Or if you can't imagine what might happen up a head then you are the unsafe one. Some times worrying to much makes you dangerous.

Back