new here, hello

jl ws-6

Local time
7:22 AM
new to the site, had the idea of putting a motor on a bike in my garage, nice to see there's a site with some info on how to do it :)

Probably the wrong forum, but has anyone ever mounted an engine on a mountain bike, so that the sproket on the engine drives one of the 2 front sprokets on the bike that are normally used for high and low range selection?

My thought was to remove the pedals, hook it up in this fashion and add a set of foot pegs to the bike to rest my feet on, this would allow the rear gear selector to still be utilized increasing the range of speeds, and decrease the engine power needed (being that I"m 6'3 and 275lbs, this is somewhat important, and where I live there's alot of hills)

If this can be done, I am very intrested in how it was set up. I have a machinist available if I would have to make parts that's not a problem.

hey jl ws-6
you've found the right place
I've spent the last week or so just reading and looking at the pics
there are several people that have done what you are talking about
do a search for 'jackshaft' and you will see what I mean
welcome to the forums and good luck with your build

I deleted this post. 50 mph on a bicycle is too dangerous. Stick with the jackshaft idea.

Last edited:
Actually I'm very intrested in the 50 mph setup. Not that I want to go that fast, but with the thing geared down some it probably would have an easy time pulling someone my size.

Probably the wrong forum, but has anyone ever mounted an engine on a mountain bike, so that the sproket on the engine drives one of the 2 front sprokets on the bike that are normally used for high and low range selection?

My thought was to remove the pedals, hook it up in this fashion and add a set of foot pegs to the bike to rest my feet on, this would allow the rear gear selector to still be utilized increasing the range of speeds, and decrease the engine power needed

You could spend a lot of time and money on yours and you wouldn't have a bicycle anymore if you remove the cranks and pedals....making an illegal motorcyle. Plus, would you add a pull start or start on hills all the time?

Would you be willing to spend $199+shipping for a fully engineered and thoroughly tested, safe (comes with 3 chain guards) bolt on kit?

I"m not entirly worried about the legality of it, honestly I'm a drag racer so with that in mind some of the things I've done over the years as far as illegal stuff on public roads, riding a small engine powered bike is really not something I'm all that worried about (I only race at tracks now, so no lecture please)

I'm intrested in any kit that is available, I'd much rather do what's commonly referred to as a jackshaft setup on here, this seems like the easiest way to go about it.

I was about to buy a scooter, until I saw someone with what looked like a weed whacker motor on a bike while I was on vacation at the beack last week, so that's what has me here. My thought was to build one that would be alot cheaper then spending 2 grand on a scooter, plus something that's made like this is more my style anyway :)

no that setup above is what I had in mind, but a step further, a set of pegs to put my feet on rather then the actual pedals.

That, and a pull starter would be perfect.

Cool on the pull starter, because without pedals it would be the only way to start the engine. The other thing is with your rear gears, taking off with the clutch and engine power alone is zero problem.

Back