New here

terrylaskiwski

Local time
6:33 AM
Just found this forum while researching info on the Honda GX50, can't believe how many people are into motorized bikes! So far I've built 6 of them, each getting better, but I am always looking for more power and speed :cool: Right now Ive got two bikes both with the Robin Subaru motors, one is chain drive, other is friction drive, super reliable too. On the chain drive setup I've got about 10000 miles so far, top speed is about 27-29mile/hour on flat roads, would love to get up to about 40 if possible, which is why Im thinking of the GX50 since its 2.2hp over my current 1.6hp engine. Anyways, will look around and see what everyone else has been using for some ideas. Also would love to build a better muffler, is it possible to get a nearly quite 4cycle engine? Anyways, this place looks like it's got a wealth of info, so I will look around.

Terry

Welcome to MBc, Terry. You certainly are welcome to look around. The real clue is to read all you can, including the 'Stickies'...for sure you will learn something about how our Forums work and what the rules are and you should just find what you are looking for. You know that the speed is not always just the function of 'engine size.' A lot of it has to do with gearing. I have a Robin-Subaru EH035 (only that 1.6 Hp you mentiond) that will push my 72lb Delta Trike, plus 200 lb. driver, at 42 mph, as clocked by police radar. And, it has plenty of torque and power. I cruise at 25-30 for safety sake, but on a bike, that may not be bad. You can read all about my build in the Powered Trike Forum, under "Trailmate & Gas Power"...The trick to getting the speed is in the final gearbox drive sprocket, and that can be changed in about 10 minutes or less. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Patrick, that is really cool! I know the motor has plenty of power, I did upgrade the sprocket way back when I bought the gearbox, I should buy another sprocket a couple sizes up, cheap and quick fix :) I have been thinking alot about putting a new crank on my bike so that I can use the motor and then pedal to make it go faster. Been thinking of putting on a 50tooth sproket, I think I have a 34tooth on it right now. But I think I'll order a bigger sprocket from Staton for that gear box, for now. I sure do love riding this thing, it would be cool to be able to do 40 mph that way I'd be keeping up with traffic easier. Thanks for the suggestion.

Terry

Terry...move your question over to the "general discussion" area, and ask it again...I'll get back to you in a few days...OKAY?

Back