New here

Terrydanderson

Local time
5:38 AM
Good Afternoon all.

I am new here and I am looking to move to a rural area of Florida and cannot obtain a drivers license so I am looking into the motorized bicycles as my primary form of transportation. I have not really read too much into the forums but I have heard that I need to stay away from the China garbage that is being sold out there and thought this would be a good place to find out where and what to purchase. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not concerned with the build, my son and I are both mechanically inclined, just no way to fabricate parts if needed.

Thank you all for any assistance

Terry A

Hi Terry and welcome aboard.

You'll see folks who wouldn't be caught dead on a Chinese two stroke. But don't get the idea that everyone agrees. Many of us, perhaps the majority, have a high opinion of them.

You might think of them as something like an ugly dog or an old Plymouth Valiant; they might not be all that impressive, but they might still be loveable just the same.

I imagine that it doesn't bother you that a Bic lighter is made out of crap. Why would it matter? When it dies you buy another one and the price doesn't even enter your head. Chinese two strokes are something like this.

Now there are 4 strokes out there that, no doubt, are built to higher standards. But I can't comment on them because I've never had one.

Best of luck and have fun.

Hey Terry,
I would only add that if you go the 4 stroke route and weigh over 200 pounds, expand your parts search to include go cart, mini bikes, and scooter parts vendors. The centrifugal clutches that come with most of the 4 stroke kits will not handle old fat guys.
Good luck and have fun
...Barry

With mechanical inclination and this forum you should have little difficulty with the Chinese motors. The quality has been improving over the years - as i have gathered from this forum. They will run fairly well out-of-the-box, however you will want to make some adjustments to increase their efficiency.

Reliability may be an issue if you are not familiar with 2-strokes as you may mis-diagnose problems. Also weather changes can affect how well the motor runs.

Good luck!

for Chinese 2 stroke RELIABILITY:
use sandpaper on glass to plane flat the cylinder head and top of cylinder for a good seal.
replace the cheap nuts and bolts that come with the chinese kit and replace them with good ones.
buy the Walbro carburetor that comes with special adaptor, velocity stack, and air filter.

The 2 stroke China girl kits are the cheapest way to get motorized, unless you do a DIY friction drive with a weed eater motor.
I ran China girl for years with no engine related failures.
If you need to ride the motorbike every day, I would get a four stroke to avoid mixing gas and oil.

Back