New Huffy Build- Drop Out question

Risk Man

Local time
3:36 AM
I am just starting the teardown of my Huffy cruiser build and never paid much attention to the style of drop outs on this bike or other bikes for that matter. I see that this one is a "tab in tube" type. I did some reading and apparently this is not a "bad" way to do it but it does not even look like it is welded? Can I assume it is brazed on the inside?

Attachments

• drop out.jpg
    drop out.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 111
I guess before I go any further, I will put a BFW on them and see if I can move them without breaking the "invisible" weld!

I am just starting the teardown of my Huffy cruiser build and never paid much attention to the style of drop outs on this bike or other bikes for that matter. I see that this one is a "tab in tube" type. I did some reading and apparently this is not a "bad" way to do it but it does not even look like it is welded? Can I assume it is brazed on the inside?
I'm not 100% sure on the newer frames, but on my old cruiser frames, they are brazed in tubes & not visible by eye from the outside, on one of my newer cruiser frames they appear like they may have been spot welded & then painted making the spot weld invisible to the eye.

I guess before I go any further, I will put a BFW on them and see if I can move them without breaking the "invisible" weld!
Don't pry in the tab. Use all thread and four nuts And some fender washers,in the axle wells of the tabs. Spin the inside nuts to stretch the rear out. If you end up bending a tab from prying, it will crack out sooner or later from all the stress it has to handle.

Don't pry in the tab. Use all thread and four nuts And some fender washers,in the axle wells of the tabs. Spin the inside nuts to stretch the rear out. If you end up bending a tab from prying, it will crack out sooner or later from all the stress it has to handle.
thanks for the suggestion. I think it will fit my mag wheels without opening it up. it had 2.25 wheels and tires on there before with a 5 speed cassette. Which brings me to another question. Should I stay with the 5 speed (so the bike can be ridden without so much effort as my Risky Ride with 16 tooth single speed sprocket) or keep it simple with a single speed sprocket? I like pedaling and must do on bike paths here and sidewalks as no gas motor allowed running.

thanks for the suggestion. I think it will fit my mag wheels without opening it up. it had 2.25 wheels and tires on there before with a 5 speed cassette. Which brings me to another question. Should I stay with the 5 speed (so the bike can be ridden without so much effort as my Risky Ride with 16 tooth single speed sprocket) or keep it simple with a single speed sprocket? I like pedaling and must do on bike paths here and sidewalks as no gas motor allowed running.
Keep the multi speed if you pedal a lot. My cruiser kind of sucks to start on steep hills sometimes. Trying to get enough speed to hit the motor going up hill on one great sucks!! Lol

Back