New Huffy Build- Drop Out question

The Electra has the best dropout... The Cranbrook is pretty good also... I make my own that's similar... I wouldn't get far before those type of drop out bent and was done,. without a motor on it... I'm 240# and ride hard so I have to have a strong custom frame

Attachments

• IMG_20220130_124958087_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220130_124958087_HDR.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 99
I'm not 100% sure on the newer frames, but on my old cruiser frames, they are brazed in tubes & not visible by eye from the outside, on one of my newer cruiser frames they appear like they may have been spot welded & then painted making the spot weld invisible to the eye.
I'm not sure they're even welded. Just smashed together.
Hello, l know it's June just read this thread , how old is that Huffy frame , A lot of frames back in the day the dropouts are stamped with a press I've had old Schwinn, Royce Union, Huffy/Huffman ,I just aquired a Sears Space liner Murray w/JC Higgins Rat trap Springer forks ,all have stamped dropouts that's the way they made them back then.😎👍

I'd bet money those drop outs are spot welded after being pressed. That metal doesn't have the strength to hold the drop out in place jumping curbs, pot holes etc.

Back