New Improved Felt Red Barron.

I got bored so I rebuilt the death trap... here is the new and improved red barron.

Most notable improvements include a brand new Grubee 66cc engine, kill switch delete w/new grips, sick bikes front mount, sick bikes expansion chamber, an HD flywheel from sick bikes, an 11 tooth sbk sprocket for the jackshaft, and a better fuel tank mounting arrangement that allows me to lower my seat to a comfortable position.

My comments on the new sick bike parts... the expansion chamber is AWESOME!!!! It lets you rev a couple thousand higher in the rpm range giving you access to the additional torque. The only thing I can compare it to is real 3 lobe Honda vtec, ( as in an rsx type s or 99 civic si). If you add the nuvinci hub, 11 tooth sprocket, and air filter what you get is an amazing machine that starts to approach the performance of an actual motorcycle. It really is amazing. The pipe gives you the revs... the revs give you torque... and the nuvinci hub with bigger sprocket lets you effectively use the torque to get speed. I have fallen in love with the red barron all over again. I think the next upgrade is a rock solid head. I will keep you guys posted.

A couple of fabrication tips for anybody building something like this...

I couldn't get the sbp expansion chamber to fit so I fabbed up my own down tube and hanger... very easy to do and it works well with the felt frame. If it looks familiar... thats because it is; I used the stock exhaust and just cut the muffler off leaving the downtube. I used JB weld and the brass pipe fittings that came with the sbp kit to attach the resonance chamber. I cut the silicone tubing and wrapped it around the whole area and hose clamped it tight while the epoxy was still wet. It has cured pretty tight and doesn't leak AT ALL. To hang it I just used a wire coat hanger and bent it to shape, then used the mounting hole and bolt originally intended for the rear fender to hang it. The gas tank mounted easily with some old tire rubber I found on the road and some 5000 lb epoxy. I cut 4 squares using the existing tread pattern on the tire scrap and glued it under the 4 corners of the tank to keep it from rattling. A pair of VERY heavy duty zip ties holds the tank to the rack. I deleted the kill switch using the throttle piece from dax. The thread pitch and hole size were too small so be prepared to drill out and tap a new thread pitch for the throttle cable.

As you will see... still no brakes. I think I am starting to like riding it that way.

Anyways, here are some pics. All comments welcome, hope you enjoy.

rb6.jpg

rb3.jpg

rb3-1.jpg

rb4.jpg

rb1.jpg

rb9.jpg

rb10.jpg

Last edited:
I like your method of mounting the tank to the rack. Everything that I attempt to bolt to my cargo rack comes loose, even with threadlock.
I think I like everything about your bike.

Vtec...put some brakes on that thing

its much more thrilling w/out. I enjoy the small shots of adrenaline I get from the constant bouts with danger. It breaks up an other wise sleep deprived monotonous day caused primarily by a crying newborn infant.

Yes..I can still remember being 24..and looking for the max adrenaline rush......I am 61 and still have that addiction ..that's why I don't own a fast car or motorcycle..can not recover from those crashes and broken bones very well now....I do paddle my sea kayak solo off shore in the Gulf of Mexico..seems the rougher it is the better I like it..."lost at Sea" or " believed to be eaten by sharks" will be easier on the family and cheeper too Ha Ha...

Yes..I can still remember being 24..and looking for the max adrenaline rush......I am 61 and still have that addiction ..that's why I don't own a fast car or motorcycle..can not recover from those crashes and broken bones very well now....I do paddle my sea kayak solo off shore in the Gulf of Mexico..seems the rougher it is the better I like it..."lost at Sea" or " believed to be eaten by sharks" will be easier on the family and cheeper too Ha Ha...

LOL... I wish you were my uncle or something.

Back