New in northern california

sactownie

Local time
10:28 AM
Just wanted to formally introduce myself, I am Dan, I live in north Sacramento. I am in the process of gathering the parts I need to make my own MB and living in California its not easy to do!
I have not rode a bicycle since around year 2000 and its not easy peddling up hills being 13 years older!
I picked up this 99 model Marin muirwoods bike (pictured next to my gas guzzler little pickup) off craigslist a couple weeks ago for $75 in perfect condition.I plan on motorizing this bike, looks like i may have to modify what kit I get because of the odd shaped tubing on it.

Attachments

• bicyclereduced.jpg
    bicyclereduced.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 380
Just wanted to formally introduce myself, I am Dan, I live in north Sacramento. I am in the process of gathering the parts I need to make my own MB and living in California its not easy to do!
Hi Dan
It is not that hard to put together a mb in California.

What is your budget for a bike?

I have a friend in your area that has a very nice 50 cc Hausheng 4 stroke Grubee 4G shifter kit bike.

Also know of someone in Sacramento selling all the parts and a bike to make a bike like that for $550?

These guys can ship within California because they import and assemble their own engines in California.
That is Not true.

A) they don't assemble their motors in CA.
They are assembled in China like all other kits.

Even if they were assembled in CA read (B)

B) All motors sold in California HAVE to be C.A.R.B. certified.
That is why Harbor Freight can't sell certain models in CA and why
they have a CA C.A.R.B. 212cc and a non C.A.R.B. 212cc.

Honda GXH 50 cc, Honda GX 35 & 25 cc, Subaru 33 cc, Mitsubishi etc
are C.A.R.B. certified and HAVE A C.A.R.B. STICKER ON THEM.

If your motor doesn't have the sticker it ain't supposed to be sold
in CA and a fake sticker or selling a non C.A.R.B. motor is a HUGE
daily fine if they want to come after you.

Please don't spread misinformation about these kits.

Their site says:
"Because we manufacture and import our own 80cc engine kits, we can bring you EPA approved 2 stroke engine kits for the lowest price available"

Sorry, I was writing from what I remembered off the top of my head, connecting the manufacturing and importing with it being EPA approved, my mistake.

bahramu, thanks for the link, looks like they may ship here and free shipping. I am currently unemployed so I have a really tight budget.
I need the kit and a hub adaptor/big sprocket as I am a big man at 6'5 300+ lbs and want to make a somewhat reliable setup that will replace my actual motor vehicle for the time being.I am hoping to spend under $250 for the rest of the parts.
I see a kit new in box on craigslist for $150 but apprehensive about that, would rather buy from an actual vendor that has some sort of warranty.

Buy a 4 stroke and avoid problems. I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. I use a 33 cc engine and can go up any hill here in Tennessee. My state has an automatic transmission requirement. So that means no manual clutch or manual gear shifting. What I did was to use a shiftkit with an autoshift derailleur. I'm currently the only person in the world with this setup. My bike shifts 5 gears automatically. Without this setup I wouldn't be able to ride these hills with a legal 50 cc or under bike.

I'd really rather have a 4 stroke for the quietness of them compared to 2 stroke but its not in my budget unless there is a 4 stroke kit I don't know about under $200 somewhere?
Anyways my plan is to buy the hub adaptor and sprocket, install those 1st so I know that part will work, then order the engine. The shifting you have sounds really cool but right now I would be happy to just be able to cruise up hills with some peddling.

Last edited:
I finally ordered my 2 stroker kit from engines online shop last night. They had the straight plug kit for $139 I added to my cart a few days previous then noticed yesterday they went up to $169 for all the kits but I was still able to get the kit for $139+tax free shipping. They confirmed the order this morning so looks like there not afraid to ship to california like all the other sellers!
I am also ordering the sbp shifting kit heavy duty model sometime this week after i've sold more stuff on ebay.
This looks like the best way to go with my size and I also want it to be as quiet as possible.
My only concern is the engine kits 30 day warranty, I'm not sure if I will have all the parts and have them installed by then so I guess Ill eyeball the engine really good, maybe pull off the head to make sure its good.

Last edited:
Back