NEW INVENTION - C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather - How to turn your Seat Post into a Crankcase Air Oil Separator Breather- C.A.O.S. Breather

Howzit Everyone,
No I didn't invent the crankcase air oil separator breather (C.A.O.S.) breather.
That would be like saying that I invented the wheel.
The concept of the C.A.O.S. breather has been around since the Model T and redesigned over thousands of times.
Guys with Flathead Hot Rods Would make C.A.O.S. breathers out of an old oil can and mount it to the inside fender or fire wall.
Old School Harley Bikers with Flathead Harleys would make C.A.O.S. breathers Out of a beer can and just strap it to the frame. Or just stick the vent tube in a hole they drilled in the frame.
Harley now makes special designed C.A.O.S. breathers for their different motors.
Modern Scooters Have C.A.O.S. breathers on the market. Some you just hook up the vent hose, others you just screw into the dip stick hole
Chusman and Old School Whizzers, made their own C.A.O.S. breathers . New Gen Whizzers The big Breather But first it was just an air stone in the vent tube still a C.A.O.S. breather but the crankcase preasure was too great and the air stone spit oil everywhere.
I guess someone invented(designed) a C.A.O.S. breather and all started using the Homemade PVC C.A.O.S. breather That everyone calls Life Support.
In 2005 when I first got my NE5 Whizzer I knew I had a problem right away when the air stone C.A.O.S. breather spit oil everywhere. I remembered What the Old School Harley bikers would do to their bikes. So I just made a C.A.O.S. breather out of a beer can and strapped it to the frame. It worked ok. But one day I was riding my Whizzer and I got pulled over by the COPS they thought I was riding with an open container of beer. The Cops and I both had a good laugh And the COP said maybe I should start drinking coke. He was right the beer can made me look like an alcoholic.
I went home and invented (designed) my own style of C.A.O.S. breathed PVC Life Support. to mount from the luggage rack, up under the seat and have a small breather filter coming out from the rear of the seat I tried to use a PCV but it didn;t let out enough pressure. So I drilled out the PCV valve for more air flow .The C.A.O.S. breather works better when it can breath in and out besides just out
At the same time I also had another idea for a design (invention) I remembered the Old School Bikers just sticking a vent tube into a hole in the frame. So I thought why not use the seat post. My seat height is high enough I have a luggage rack on my bike the seat only goes so low but that's perfect for me.
This is how you can design a C.A,O,S. Seat Post Breather for your Blke . The first one I made in 2006. I plugged the bottom of the seat post with a rubber stopper and epoxy right where The hose fitting was going to screw into the seat post and that's right above the seat post clamp. I planed on Tig welding a chromoly reinforcement sleeve on to add support right where the hose fitting screws into the seat post . Then stuff the top 6" of the seat post with wire mesh (pot scrubbers). But since this was the first Prototype I wanted to make sure The C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather was going to work. I skipped Tig welding the reinforcement sleeve on. I put the seat post in my bike hooked up the vent hose put the seat on and off for a test ride 25miles I wanted to make sure it worked. It WORKED great and looked COOL. But on the last mile home the seat post bent right at where the hose fitting screwed into the seat post. I didn't want to waste any labor time welding the reinforcement sleeve on if this C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather was not going to work . But it WORKS. At the time I just installed a new seat post hooked back up the bikes life support. SEE PICTURES. and thought I'll just make another one later .
I'm sharing all this info because now 12 years later. I'm planning on making 10 or 20 C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breathers and as soon as their out their I'm sure it will be copied . I bet someone has already invented (designed) one and thinks I'm coping him. I hope someone else fabricates a C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather
The C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather isn't for everyone. It should work nicely if you have a luggage rack on your bike. Or you like your seat Not too low. I think I'll design a way for the little breather filter to poke out the back from under the seat. I like that look. I'll keep ya all informed. Some should be ready by next year.As soon as I finish the first one I'll post some pictures
Here are some more pictures to give ya all an idea. My design Ideas back in 2006.
I took the COPS advice but I drink PEPSI. This is where I had the Beer Can C.A.O.S. breather mounted.
No I don't mount my Pepsi there I have it mounted on the handle bars.
I'm trying to give ya all some ideas. Because I HATE the Life Support Look.
If ya carry a Big Rubber Hose C.A.O.S.-- Well Ya look like ya carry a Big Rubber Hose.
ALOHA Wrench
*NOTE - I took my Whizzer of LIFE SUPPORT ( home made PVC c.a.o.s. ) That's just UGLY.
My Whizzer now uses the Custom Made C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather with Filter.

Attachments

Last edited:

Howzit Everyone,
Here's an update, On the latest design idea of the seat post C.A.O.S. breather.
If you like your seat all the way down having a straight seat post in its lowest position. You can still use the seat post C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather design.
A Laid Back C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather requires no frame modification.
A Straight C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather in lowest position will require a modification by drilling a hole in the frame down tube. When your designing your Straight C.A.O.S. Seat Post breather. Figure out where the hose fitting hole in the seat post and the hose fitting hole in the frame will align with the seat post height you like. I think the frame should be strong enough in that area. Anyone want to test it out? If you feel you need more reinforcement in that area. Just Tig weld what welders call a tag (a piece of metal that looks like a dog tag) in that area and the frame down tube will be very strong in that area. Remember it's best to have the Straight C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather hose fitting mounted higher than where the vent hose comes out of the motor. This will ensure proper gravity oil drainage from the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather back to the crankcase when the motor is turned off. Cleaning the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather. Just remove the vent hose from the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather. Hook up a different hose for drainage and spray carb cleaner down from the top of the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather and let drain out from the bottom drain hose. You should never have to change the pot scrubber material. But be sure that you don't pack The pot scrubber in to tight or you might get oil dripping out the top. Then You'll think "The piece of SH-T don't work". If you think all of this work is beyond your skill set. You just might be able to buy a C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather in the near future. For those of you who like a lower seat and want to Tig weld a Tag on the down tube. Mark out the spot for the hose fitting on the frame down tube. Before you drill a hole in your frame down tube for the hose fitting. Take your bike to your local welding shop and ask them. Could you please Tig weld a Tag on for me. Should be about $30?
Here are some more pictures to give ya all an idea. And showing off my bikes pin collection.
Aloha Wrench

Attachments

Last edited:
Howzit,

Coming soon The C.A.O.S. Seat post Breather.
Starting Production.
The C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather is made from Chromoly CRMO.
All Tig welding is done with Stainless Steel Rod.
They will be available in Chrome or Gloss Black.
C.A.O.S. Seat Posts Breathers will be available in Laid Back or REG. Straight Styles.
Or Custom Order and choose your own brand of Seat Post. Custom order your C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather height.
Take your Whizzer off LIFE SUPPORT use the New COOL Looking C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather
Isn't Cruzzers Big Breather a little bit BIG? ( Big as a Coke can )
Here's some pictures of the first two Prototypes. These were made to be used with a Luggage Rack.
Production C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breathers will look much nicer.
Cost $ will be close to what Cruzzer charges for the Big Breather.
More details to come.
Call Wrench 951-696-2715 ask for John for more info and to place an early order.

ALOHA Wrench

Attachments

Last edited:
This is what the Painted C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather will look like. This one is black
This one is made to be used with a Luggage Rack
I painted bare Chromoly, First Primer then Automotive Black then Clear Coat.
No need to paint the bottom half that slides into the frame
If the Brass is too shiny, Just paint that black too,
Aloha Wrench

Attachments

Last edited:
Howzit.

I installed a Chrome C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather With a Small Breather Filter mounted under the seat on my bike.
I attached two 3/8" I.D vent hose's to the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather.
I attached the Small Breather Filter with a 3/8 I.D. hose and used black RVT silicone (Permatex) to seal the hose in the end of the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather. I like the look of the filter mounted under the seat.
Notice how well the Stainless Steel Tig Welds match the Chrome of the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather.
I test rode my bike with the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather over 100 miles and it works perfect only air comes out and oil stays in.
The C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather is sealed inside right under the Brass hose fitting. So no oil get's into the frame. All oil, gravity drains back into the crankcase when bike is turned off.
I have 2 Black C.A.O.S. Seat Posts Breathers available now. They were made to fit nicely with a Luggage Rack. I also make C.A.O.S. Seat Posts Breathers in Chrome.
A C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather comes with Brass hose fittings and stuffed with wire mesh (Stainless Steel Pot Scrubber) for $90. If you need 2' of hose, Hose clamps, Brass T hose fitting or even a Small Breather filter to mount under the seat Just let me know and I can supply those for you too at an additional charge.
If you think this price is too high. I want you to compare what a Cruzzer Big Breather costs, almost $70 and a Cruzzer Laid Back Seat Post costs $15 + shipping, Yea over $90 + shipping
The Cruzzer seat post is made out of REG Steel. They always bend.
The Cruzzer Big Breather Is bigger Than a coke can WAY TOO BIG.
If your bike is on LIFE SUPPORT ( homemade PVC c.a.o.s.) well, that's just UGLY. Take your Whizzer Off LIFE SUPPORT.
No matter how hard you try. You cant hide either one, LIFE SUPPORT or The Big Breather.
The C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather is made out of CRMO Chromoly. They don't bend.
You get a Seat Post and A Breather all in one. Looks clean and COOL. Takes up no extra space.
Taking Orders NOW. Call Wrench 951-696-2715 ask for John to place an order.
Production starts Jan. 2nd 2019
Jan 2nd 2019 I'll post sales info on the Dealer advertisement section of this Forum
ALOHA Wrench
*NOTE - Modifications to use Small Breather Filter are not required for C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather to work 100%

Attachments

Last edited:
Here's a chrome C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather
Trying to show you how nice the Chrome and Stainless Steel Tig welding go together.
The Chrome did not peal from the heat during welding.
The Chrome looks very good.
These were made to be used with a Luggage Rack.
I can Tig Weld the reinforcement sleeve higher up up. If you would like your Laid Back C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather in the all the way down position. Just let me know.
I have a few Chrome C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breathers available now.
ALOHA Wrench

Attachments

Last edited:
Howzit,
The 3/8"ID vent hose I use with the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather will not fit on the hose port tube on the New Gen Whizzer valve cover.
A small modification needs to be done to the valve cover hose port tube.
What needs to be done is, a 1/8 x 27 NPT Pipe Thread Tap needs to be used to put Pipe Threads in the valve cover hose port tube.
Then a 3/8"x 3/8" 90* or a straight hose fitting can be screwed in to accept the 3/8"ID vent hose.
I prefer to use the 90* hose fitting to route the vent hose up and out of the way. Having the vent tube go up means less oil will escape through the vent tube.
Here's some pictures to show what needs to be done.
Once again I've posted all my plans and info on how to make your own C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather.
But if this work is beyond your skill set or its just easy to buy one and save time. Just ask Wrench I'm sure he can get you one.
I'm doing all of this. To try and help the Whizzer / Cruzzer Motorbike Community.
Merry Christmas
ALOHA Wrench
*NOTE - Modification to valve cover vent tube is required for The C.A.O.S.seat Post Breather to work 100%

Attachments

Last edited:
Here's a tip to get better air flow with the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather.
ALOHA Wtrench
*NOTE - Modifications for better air flow are not required for the C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather to work 100%

Attachments

Last edited:
Here's another tip. The hose barb on brass hose fitting is 1/8" to long to have enough clearance to screw into the L.H. side vent of crankcase. It needs to be shortened 1/8"
I like to use this vent hole too along with the vent hole in the valve cover. Besides increasing air flow, crankcase ventilation. It also provides excellent oil drainage back to the crankcase.
ALOHA
*NOTE - Modifications to use case L.H. vent are not required for C.A.O.S. Seat Post Breather To work 100%

Attachments

Last edited: