New kid on the block here in Tasmania, Australia.

If you have any motorcycle used parts dealers in your area, you might also try to find used motorcycle rim ad tires that are very close to the same size as the bicycle tire and rim. This will usually come off of the Chinese cloned dirt bikes. This way you can use real motorcycle tires and brakes. A big safety issue.
I had my heart set on 26" x 2" wheels Herman. Wanting the authentic proportions. The bike will probably never go much over 35-40 mph tops. Ive seen 24 x 4 on BTRs and they can look ok, but to me nqr. You have a good point though, I wonder what sizes come on the Chinese dirt bikes?

The front tire size is 70/100-19 New rims and tire on eBay run about $105 USD, It has the dirt bike knobby tire. I would switch out the front hub with a drum brake bicycle hub for the look. Rear hub, I would also switch it out with a bicycle hub, just not sure which style I would use. The Chinese dirt bike uses 2 different size rims, I would get 2 of the 19's, and redo the spokes, hubs etc with bicycle stuff, probably Sturmey Archer brand.

Endless options! There's a lot of gear out there for all kinds of builds. Disc brakes for the front, cable drums for rears, 24"x4" wheels, a lot of the heavy duty cycle stuff looks pretty sturdy. Springer forks, girder forks, etc. Shows how popular they are now.

I had my heart set on 26" x 2" wheels Herman. Wanting the authentic proportions. The bike will probably never go much over 35-40 mph tops. Ive seen 24 x 4 on BTRs and they can look ok, but to me nqr. You have a good point though, I wonder what sizes come on the Chinese dirt bikes?
Authentic wheels from 1910 - 1915 would be 28"x3"

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thats very useful information Wrench. Where do you get 28x3 wheels and tyres?
28"x3" tires go on 22" diameter clincher rims
I found the vintage tires. I'm sure the rims are out there somewhere. Just have to search.

Last edited:
Good to find some fellow Aussies on here. Quick question for all u people down under - mechanics is my bread n' butter as well as being my hobby during my down-time, especially the performance side.. I have a strong background in modifications and fabrications on the cars front... I've built roll cages for a few EH's and LJ's in my time. So I have worked with steel tubes enough in the past to look at building a bicycle frame with a hint of confidence.
Now, this leads to the question I have for all you Aussie guys n gals out there - Does anybody know of any places locally where I can source materials to build my own custom chopper-style bicycle frames and some decent forks ? I've got some lethal ideas as in designs for functional springer forks and I'm super keen in turning them into reality, so if anybody know of any good places around the Sydney and/or nearby areas where I can buy steel tubing in the relevant sizes then please steer us in the right direction ! Cheers guys.

Back