New Kulana and BoyGoFast Build Thread

Marktur

Local time
8:07 AM
OK! So if you saw my other thread, the bike I wanted to use for the motor was a Schwinn Clear Creek, and the motor did not fit with the carb and air cleaner installed. I realized after walking through Walmart, Target, and KMart that "Comfort" style bikes (hybrid between Mountain and Cruisers) have a tighter frame, and will not allow an install without quite a bit of modifications to the intake manifold of the motor...

So, I ended up buying the Kulana at Walmart for $99...and I got a blue one which is kind of nice being that everyone else's that was posted here is orange.

I am beginning the install now, and I'll post pictures as I go.

For starters, I put masking tape on the seat bar and the bottom of the frame so I don't scratch it up during the install.

Pictures to follow! Man, I'm excited about this! :)

Cya,
Mark

That is crazy cheap!!! I had the cheapest possible new bike I could find with a disc brake and it cost me the equivalent of $220, thats the UK for you. Sounds like a nice bike, look forward to seeing some pics!
Fastboy

Hi Fastboy - it's not disc brakes...calipers. Still cool, though. I have a 2-into-1 Brake lever on the way, too. The bike is actually pretty cool...I checked like 5 of them, and got the only one that everything seemed to be right...shifting, chain not making noise, and geez...lots of wobbly tires...but not the one I took home! :) It rides really nice and smooth, but I think I may try out a bench seat.

QUESTION FOR ALL: What is the method to get the chain on the small sprocket on the motor?
I have the chain on the large sprocket to start, then I try as I may to start it on the small sprocket and turn the crank with the tool, but it keeps getting stuck. I'm sure if I open the chain I can thread it in, but I don't have the tool...

Thanks!

OK, I simply opened up the chain, then fed it right in to the rear sprocket...like butta.

I need to remove a few links now, and my buddy is coming over in the morning to help me do that.

I mounted the fuel tank using rubber from a tire tube between all metal to minize vibration and foaming. Mounted the clutch lever and also mounted the throttle control. I was not able to move the shifter, the allen head stripped out like it was made of wax as soon as I tried to turn it. So the throttle control has about 3 inches on the end that doesn't make contact with the handlebar, but I think it would be OK..or I have to cut the plastic and slot the allen so I can turn it with a flathead screwdriver...

I'll post pix in the AM

G'nite!

It rides really nice and smooth, but I think I may try out a bench seat.
Let me know how it works out for you. I got the $20 Schwinn seat from WalMarts pretty much because it had indentions for my butt. I like it for the price, but even a skinny guy like me could use an extra 1 1/2" on each side like the "]Park Bench seat has... and it does have a lil' bit of indentions apparently (i never noticed that before).

QUESTION FOR ALL: What is the method to get the chain on the small sprocket on the motor?
I have the chain on the large sprocket to start, then I try as I may to start it on the small sprocket and turn the crank with the tool, but it keeps getting stuck. I'm sure if I open the chain I can thread it in, but I don't have the tool...
You could have moved the back wheel upward.... or if the chain was the right size, you could have put it on the small sprocket first, then started to wrap it around the large sprocket and start pushing the bike forward.

Hi guys - thank you all for your help! You're the best-est!

I ended up unlinking the master link, and simply "threaded" it through the small sprocket - it was too tight to just push it over the gears. My buddy helped me remove some links, and we have it on properly now. It is tighter than the bike chain but I can move it about 1/4-1/2" up and down on the top half and the bottom half so I think I'm good here. (How would I know if it's TOO tight?)

I didn't think I needed the tensioner at all at this point, so I'll leave it off and have a little bit less drag.

I did have to slightly bend/hammer the fender so the chain will pass by without touching, too.

I took a bunch of pix, but didn't unload the cam this morning...but I will tonight.

Tonight, I will hopefully finish up: cables, magneto, carb and then I guess I can run it. This new bike looks SO GOOD, too!

Two last questions before I start her up:

Throttle: How far should the handgrip turn? While I have to adjust to take out the slack, when I turn it until I feel resistance with one finger..then I can grip it and turn it about 1/4" (watching the notch on the throttle handle) before I hit a second stop (WOT?). It feels more like "on/off" than a smooth throttle. Is this the correct amount that it turns? How do I get more throw for the throttle? How tight should the "bell" that caps the sping be tightened down? All the way until it stops?

Clutch: When I set the clutch to have 1/16" play, it would not disengage when I pull it (stock lever) - and I also can't use the clip because it can't close enough to engage when mounted on the handlebars. So I have a bit of tension on the clutch so that when I squeeze it I can actually walk the bike (although I still feel resistance, but it's not turning over the motor). I'm hoping this resistance goes away once the clutch breaks in. I would pedal the bike more than I need to start it up if this is how it will be...

Thanks! This is my last issue until I try to ride it...

Cya
Mark

OK, here's the pix I promised...please let me know if anything bad jumps out at you, or suggestions to make my initial experience a happy one! :)

What an enjoyable project!!!!

PS. Info about the RC Airplane in the picture: It's a Top Flight Cessna 310 twin engine monster. Weighs around 22-23lbs. Powered by 2 OS 70 FS II four stroke motors. Equipped with Robart scale landing gear, Twin Sync computer system for the motors, Spektrum 7 radio...all the best stuff inside to the tune of about $2500 - my biggest and most $$$ project to date...should fly first flights within 2 weeks...

Next message starts the build pictures...

Cya,
Mark

Build Pix

Here we go! Let me know what you think...

Pic 1: Here's the bike as I brought it home. I'm really glad that I spent the extra $100 for this bike, as I really like the other bike for normal riding much better. This Moon Dog just looks Retro and cool!

Pic 2: Engine is mounted, and I just inverted the bike to do the sprocket. You can see where I used the masking tape to protect the finish. Also notice that I cut up an innertube to use as a rubber mount to hopefully eat up the vibration, and it will definitely preserve the paint below, too.

Pic 3: Motor, Tank, and Sprocket mounted.

Pic 4: Here's my other pride and joy...working on this bad-boy since Thanksgiving, but it's almost ready now...

Pic 5: Pipe and Chain Guard are mounted. Used blue Loctite on all nuts/bolts/screws BTW. Nobody wants to shake off parts while riding, right??? :)

Pic 6: Magneto Mounted

Pic 7: Chain installed, gaurd installed

Pic 8: Here's the Schwinn 3-way light...uses regular bulb, or LEDs, I'm just going to use rechargeable batteries for it. It's quite bright for night, and during the day I'll use the LED strobe to make sure the idiots on the road see me.

Pic 8.5 & 8.6: I wanted someone experienced to tell me if this is OK...there's tension on the clutch in the released state because when I pulled in the handle prior, it would not completely disengage the clutch. Now when I pull it all the way, I fell resistance, but it is not turning over the motor. I'm hoping this goes away once I run it a few times. Is this OK?

Pic. 9, 10, 11: My new motorbike!!!! Thanks everyone, especially this forum!

So let me know what you think. :)

Today is going to be a great day, I hope!

Cya!
Mark

Attachments

• 01-NewBike.jpg
    01-NewBike.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 774
  • 2-EngineMounted.jpg
    2-EngineMounted.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 783
  • 3-MotorTankSprocket.jpg
    3-MotorTankSprocket.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 638