New Member First Post

J

jpilot

Hello All,

I'm new to this board and thought I'd introduce myself.

I live in Merriam, KS (a suburb of Kansas City). I got into motorized bikes very recently when I ran across an 80 cc Chinese engine kit for sale on eBay. I ordered the kit and my kids and I installed it on an old Murray road bike I had in the garage and was hooked! These things are so much fun! My older daughter (15 y/o) and my girlfriend love to ride it.

I recently ordered another kit to mount to a 1972 Schwinn Speedster I found on Craigslist. It's a really cool bike and should make a great motorbike. It has the 3 speed hub and I was wondering if anyone has installed one of the 80 cc frame-mount kits on a bike with a 3 speed hub. Any problems? I know the hole in the wheel sprocket will have to be machined to fit the larger diameter of the 3 speed hub.

Also, is there really any difference in the 80 cc engine from different suppliers? They all look outwardly the same to me.

I've read quit a few of the threads here and I look forward to sharing information with the members here.

Best Regards,
Jim Sitton

Here's pic of my first build.

Attachments

• Dsc02272r.jpg
    Dsc02272r.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 168
Welcome to MBc. I don't know about the 3-speed question, but I seem to remember that there are references in some threads around here. I don't use the Chinese 2-strokes, so I can't help there either. Someone will.

Welcome to MBc.

About the only thing most of these "80" motors share is the general outer appearance. Lots info about this inside, just know they are NOT all made the same. internal engine parts usually do not interchange.

THE ENGINES DO LOOK THE SAME ,,SOME ARE RUSSIAN SOME FROM CHINA ,,HAVE EVEN SEEN ONE FROM AFRICA ,as far as parts inner changing,,the best guys to ask are the hottrodders here ,,they have throughout the short span of time these engines have been around collected,,many specimens to disect,,the number of cc's greatly differs from engine to engine ,,the kings 80cc is not truley an 80cc unit ,,have seen a few carb units ,,adding a carb off a smaller engine could create some fuel mixture problems,,be careful ,,if you want to have some fun ,,go to www.howstuffworks.com/2stroke,,this is the basic of all these engines,,,enjoy your 3 speed project,,,i have an old schwinn kick back 2 speed hub ,,was thinking on trying it some day,,,wheelsmith new member

Back