New Member from Western Australia

Ewoud

Local time
11:38 AM
Hi. My name is Ewoud Slobe.
I live in Western Australia, I am a senior citizen.
Reason for joining this motor club is, I want to convert my Dutch Gazelle Bicycle to a motorized bike, mostly to give me a push going uphill.
At the moment I am bidding for a Velosolex ( after market) motor made in China.
Just wondering if members out there know how to install the Velosolex motor on a ladies pushbike. I come back with specific questions ones I have received the motor.
Thanks ahead.
Ewoud:surrender:

Attachments

• Classic Gazelle bycicle.jpg
    Classic Gazelle bycicle.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20111102_114659.jpg
    IMG_20111102_114659.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20111102_114730.jpg
    IMG_20111102_114730.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 214
Welcome to the forum...from the land down under. I've contemplated a instillation of a Velosolex, along with a trike. From what I see with the instillation (most likely no directions included) is pretty straight forward. Most likely you are bidding on it from BGF/luckyearlybird. If so be aware that when you get it, forget about any warranty..because it yours.

http://velosolex4600.over-blog.com/

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/bgf-hongdu-solex-27150.html

Last edited:
Thank you Ron from Alabama, for welcoming me and for the informative links you send me. By looking and reading up on it I think there will be no problem to install. Some 60 years ago when I lived in Holland, we hired the old type Solex sometimes and it was great fun to drive around on them.
Ewoud

Now I have installed the Chinese Velosolex S4800 motor on my Bicycle, it runs well, but I am not sure the clutch is working the way it should. When I pull up at an traffic light, it seam to be pulling still to hard, even when I pull the accelerator cable all the way up.
Is there a way to reduce the idle speed on those things?
Ewoud

Nice bike. not very many girl MB's but there is a lot of extra room for more mods. Cool to hear from another Ozzie, thats a ways away. Welcome and we'll be looking for pics.

Thank you Lazyboy for your reply

Here are some pictures from the work I have done so far.
The next thing what I would like to do, is to change the accelerator handle and change the spring on the carburetor to the V2 Solex set up. So that the acceleration is not on full throttle all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20111128_114655.jpg
    IMG_20111128_114655.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20111209_175036.jpg
    IMG_20111209_175036.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20111209_174855.jpg
    IMG_20111209_174855.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 229
  • carby solex.jpg
    carby solex.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 254
Very nice looking build, that is what I was looking for back in 3/2009. Couldn't find one tho. That setup was used in Viet Nam when I was there in 1967, and in 1972. That is what I was thinking for my son's bicycle. Keep a eye on the fender braces, from the picture they appear kind of flimsily.

Thank you Al for your reply.

The Gazelle bike was given to me on my 70 birthday by my sons.
Being only a 3 speed, I found it hard to use in hilly areas. For sentimental reasons I did not want to sell it. Looking for a alternative I could either go electric or some sort of engine, but I did not want to ruin the look of the bike.
Then I came across an add on ebay.au about the Velosolex conversion.
The only problem I have is, the engine is running to fast on idle

Update on Gazelle Velosolex

Hi, as mentioned before, I have now updated the bike to my liking.
Changed the handle bar with a accelerator handle and a smaller d-compressor handle.
I also changed the cable set up on the carburetor to the V2 model, that is , the acceleration is on idle when I let the handle go.

Attachments

• changed accelarator handle and compresser release handle2.jpg
    changed accelarator handle and compresser release handle2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 209
  • changed accelarator cable to V2 2.jpg
    changed accelarator cable to V2 2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 207
hi an welcome

once apon a time i was living in perth an born in ossy pk hospital ...lol
i now live in sydney nsw .

love ur dutch gazelle lots an the way u put a velo motor instead of std front mount tanaka an mount kit , nice to see sum oldies goin motorized bikes instead of wheelchairs .

i ride a rock solid engine shaft bike with rse hp2 48cc motor .
i just got the sbp shiftkit hd2 an pipe an a new pushy to put a better motor in but i digress.

brad
syd

Back