New Member introduction

Rhett

Local time
10:56 PM
Hello all,
My name is Rhett Dudley and I live in Hiedelberg Germany. I am a 54 year old retired pilot and small business owner. My wife is a former US Marine and currently a DOD civilian working as a Budget Chief for Army 5TH Corp Europe and we have been here for 5 years. I have owned all kinds of large and small motorcycles and mo-peds in my life and when I was at FL State U many years ago I got around on a small French mo-ped called a Moto-Becaune or something like that and I loved it. We may very soon be relocating to either FT. BRAGG-NC or FT.Monroe in Virginia and I am very interested in obtaining a gas powered bicycle. But, I have no experience with actual bicycles with motors on them. I would be using it mostly for easy fun where starting up a 3000 pound car to go get some milk is kind of lame if the store is only a 1/2 mile away and some easy local 'bike rides' of 10-20 miles out of the way of very heavy traffic. I am in good shape,-6'2 under 200 lbs and ride my regular bike (a Cannondale) all the time. I have just started looking and so far I kind of like Golden Eagle Bike Engines, perhaps on a good mountain bike platform and something that could handle some ' hilly" terain and 25-30 mph speeds. any way glad to be a new member!! ---Regards, Rhett

WILKOMMEN !! Welcome aboard. Hiedelberg is a beautiful city! Before you leave Germany, get familiar with some of their old bikes with motors. German E Bay, search= " Hilfsmotor" or "fahrrad mit hilfsmotor." Some of the old ones are getting hard to find & are really unique. The older ones are usually scrubber drive on the front wheel, similar to mine in my avatar. Simple design,,, but still in use in new units, today. Dependable as they can get! You may want to bring some back to the states. TIP= they cannot stink like gas when transporting ! Also, if you run across a Lohmann bike motor === GRAB IT !!

Welcome aboard Rhett. I'm with Esteban on bringing something back. I lived in Germany for a while and there were all kinds of motoredbikes/mopeds there. A cool old motor or two would be worth bringing back, if only for the eBay value :D

Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome!! Looking for those German Bikes are a good Idea, wish I had gotten into this when I first came over 5 years ago! As it is now, I am at this moment only really begining to clear out all of the non-essential stuff out of this huge 2 story house and large 4 room basement because we believe that we will be hearing about our return to the states this week or next, then we have to be there in just over 40 days or so. There are very strict rules about bringing any thing over on military transport that is GERMAN SPEC when it comes to gas powered ANYTHING!! Even my Mercedes which is German spec will have to stay behind and The new Mini-Cooper that I just bought my wife, can not even have a spec of dirt on it even underneath and the wheel wells!! Even garden tools have to be spotless!! So at this point, looking for older gas bikes and engines are just not a viable option. I did take a break a few minutes ago and found a company called SPOOKY TOOTH that seems to have a nice line of gas bicycles that look pretty nice. Any one like them?--later,, Rhett

Welcome to Mbc and an early welcome home. Spooky Tooth is one of our sponsers and seem to have a great reputation here for sales and service. No personal experience though.

No excuses, now. You still have to find that Lohmann. They are rare, in Germany as well & bring BIG money, too.

Thanks--Esteban

Thanks for taking a moment to get back to me, wish that time was on my side, but the wife and I are trying to get ahead of the game at the moment, we think that a move back to the states is immenent, we think only a few days now until officially notified, It is our decision to go or stay,, we have had a good 'RUN' here in Germany these past 5 years,, I really wish that I had become involved in gas powered bicycles long before this, I hope that I can continue to stay in touch with all of you should we leave here and head stateside. I am very much aware of how great it is to be a member of a forum that you can share and recieve information from. I have been flying both full size and Remote Control planes and helicopters for several decades now and just when you think that you have seen it all, along comes the 'internet' and so many other venues and people that have seen much more than myself. I have been a pilot all of my adult life, and am retired from doing that now,,, but yet,, I have found out, and have met more people, that have enjoyed what I was doing, than I had while I was doing it!!!---Happy Landings--to you all --best regards,--Rhett

Back