New Member, looking for good bike

riminicat

Local time
3:45 PM
I've decided on a Grubee Engine, now I'm just looking for a cheap bike. I thought about just buying one on craigslist, but would a $100 cruiser bike from wally world do it for me? I'll be commuting about 30 miles a day round trip in the summer months. I'll probably order the engine from piston bikes, but not the bike due to shipping costs. Any suggestions?

Hi there, and welcome to MBc. First thing I'd do is read everything you can, especially the posts labeled 'Sticky.' As a member, you can now make generous use of our search function. Personally, I would make the rounds of garage sales and thrift shops for some good quality used bikes...there are a lot of them out there. I don't know how it works in your area, but you might try your local Police or HP stations for abandoned, confiscated, or un-claimed bikes. They are likely to give them away after a certain time, sell them, or sell them at an auction. You might try posting in our General Discussion Forum or our Buy/Sell/Trade Forum. Anyway, Good Luck to you.

Hi riminicat,

Your title says you want a good bike, but your post says you want a cheap bike. These are usually two entirely different categories of bike, with very little overlap. If you want to luck out by getting a good bike for a cheap price, you'll have to become as knowledgeable as you can, and then be patient and persistent in your hunt.

Cruiser layout is OK if that's what you prefer, but do keep in mind that cruiser bikes are designed and configured for operating at 5-10mph, and that's what they are good at. You should consider having two strong brakes at the least, since even a gimpy motorized bike will typically exceed 20mph. Multiple gears and a wind-cheating rider position are good things to have above 20mph, and cruisers don't usually have those either.

Try to stay away from department store bikes, new or used. They are poorly made and poorly assembled. If you only have $100 to spend on a bike, try to bag a reputable bike at a garage sale or thrift store for less than $50, and use the rest of your budget to get a professional tuneup.

Chalo

Back