New Member - Multiple Drive Wheels

flies4fun

Local time
6:50 AM
Hi,

I have enjoyed reading the many many posts! I have been biking to work for a number of years but now that 60 is less than a year away, I find myself needing help up the many hills on my 10 mile round trip commute, at least if I am to do it every day. Winter is the worst with a 1 mile hill into the prevailing winds.

I like the Golden Eagle, but being an engineer and having a nicely equipped shop, I'd like to do something different. I understand the efficieny of the cog belts of GE, but I am sorta drawn to the friction drive because I have several bikes and would like to equip them all with motors. If I could make my own drive then I could afford to make them for each bike and swap them around easily.

My question to the list is this: Has anyone tried multiple friction drive rollers to reduce slippage, esp when things get wet. I am thinking of starting with 3 rollers, but any number could be used. It seems to me that this could be done relatively easily. I'd belt the motor to one roller and then from that roller to the other rollers.

I may or may not use a centrifugal clutch as I would have the rollers and engine unit lift from the tire for a complete disconnect.

(I also read with great interest about a vertical shaft friction drive by retiredtinkerer. That was a hoot and he is well named. I have an almost new vertical shaft 3-1/2 hp briggs and am thinking about this too as it would be the least expensive to make. )

But the multiple roller friction drive concept is something I can't get out of my mind.

For bikes I have a Rans V2 recumbent, a Rans Screamer tandem recumbent, a Trek mountain bike and a very old Cannondale which I still use very frequentlly. I toyed with converting the Screamer to a super single with motor complete with cargo area for trips to the hardware store.

Regarding legalities, I live in PA and have did some asking around about getting legal. I don't mind taking a chance with a fine, but i am more concerned with being in an accident and being charge with casusing an accident (bike demolishes truck type thing). Presumeably if one were convicted of driving an illegal motor vehicle in an accident situation, the legalities could be messy. I used to make ultralight airplanes and have an appreciation for might of the legal system when it turns against you.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dennis

Hi Dennis. Welcome to MBc!
I recently got the friction drive set up. Im still learning about it so Im not worthy to give advise. All I can do for now is give you a site for some parts if need-be.
http://www.staton-inc.com/

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question. Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D}
Here's a great crash course post "link" to get you started.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

Welcome to MBc. A while back, someone was talking about a multi-roller set-up, but I don't know what became of it. My first setup was friction. My second is chain and freewheel.

Welcome to MBc. I have a friction drive but am presently in the process of converting it over to the golden eagel belt drive. The roller is made of steel and the rubber tire seems to really be eating up the steel, if you can believe that.
Everyone had told me you will ruin your tires, but it seems to be the steel roller that is the one getting eaten. Anyway, I want to get away from the vibrations of the friction and going to the much smoother belt drive. Good luck.

Zev0,

Thanks for the info. I am so overwhelmed with ideas from this forum that I am not sure what to dol I am a tinkerer and so tend to want to make something. But I am convinced the GEBE is very close to what I want, but I am choking on the cost.

In any case I really appreciate this forum and please pass on my thank you for those who maintain it.

Dennis

Back