New Member-New Hobby

BikerRich

Local time
4:06 AM
Hi to all!
Just picked up a brand new 66cc bike kit....Looking for a cruiser bike to build! Any advice, tips or tricks would be a big help! Thanks, Rich

Welcome to the forum!
If you want to build a cruiser, stay away from the coaster type rear brake.
Make sure your bike has front and rear calipers.
With the speeds easily obtainable with an MB, the coaster brake hub can easily overheat during braking and cook the grease inside the hub; ruining the hub.

GearNut is right about that; coaster brakes are not quite up to the task. I've gotten by with one. But I also had two hand brakes. (The combo of all three is, actually, a pretty good brake set-up. Just don't rely on the coaster alone.)

There's plenty of other tips. I could think of some if I tried. But better advice would be to read in these forums more. Anything that catches your eye.

It'll teach you a lot.

Good luck and have fun.

Coaster brakes

Welcome to the forum!
If you want to build a cruiser, stay away from the coaster type rear brake.
Make sure your bike has front and rear calipers.
With the speeds easily obtainable with an MB, the coaster brake hub can easily overheat during braking and cook the grease inside the hub; ruining the hub.

Thanks for the info on coaster brakes...had no idea about the heat problem.

hiya :)

i have to "take exception to" negative feedback about coaster-brakes...please note i did not say "argue about"...i'm simply going to share what i know from my own experiences.

i have used several coaster hubs on several different styles of MB's...my advice is use 12G/shimano-ONLY and perform regular maintenance with automotive-grade bearing grease. the shimano cb-e110 hub can last for thousands of miles, whether on a pricey velocity wheel or an inexpensive steel one, if you take care of it.

in my experience, heat only becomes a problem if:
- the bearings are too tight (an obvious one)
- or too loose (misalignment of shoes/hub)
- the chain's too tight (a common mistake)
- you're "dragging" your foot on the brake (also common)

i usually pair a coaster with a front-drum...right-hand-front-brake, right-foot-rear-brake is pretty comfortable. this combo is "universal" too, it will work on almost any bicycle & almost any fork, tho sometimes small (and simple) modifications are needed.

if a drum's out of reach right now, pay careful attention to your front rim-brake...and always respect your vehicle's limitations.

NEVER EVER rely on only one brake.

"read read read" as much as you can stand for your best and safest ride... :cool:

Last edited:
Welcome Rich, You'll want to read in the 2 stroke frame mount section... Make sure youve got a good straight chain line! Don't want that chain comming off and getting between the spokes and gear! The bike will stop faster than if you had ten Disc brakes on it and you'll keep going!

Thanks for the feedback1 It sounds as though I can use coaster if set up right. I am an avid motorcyclist so at least I have an understanding of braking using front and rear breaks together. (At least I have that going for me)
This seems to be a very useful forum and I cannot wait until I pick up a bike and get started...Thanks!

Back