New Member....... Oh how original this title is

sebseb

Local time
12:12 AM
hey i live in australia and i was wondering first of all the legality of motored bikes cause i want to make one with the motor inside the frame which means i need to get rid of the pedals...

....im just here to find out how i will get this project of mine to get offa the ground.

Hi all. enjoy talking to you alll..

im random

!!monkey!!

A lot of the bikes you will see on here have motors inside the frame AND pedals. I guess it just depends on how big of a motor you have. I don't know about AU, but where I live if the engine is over 50cc it makes it a motorcycle, but you can't register it with the DMV because it wasn't manufactured for that purpose originally. You shouldn't have too many problems finding a motor small enough, and from what I can tell, you wouldn't want too big of an engine anyway. Most bicycles aren't really intended to go THAT fast. :) I'm new to this, so my word is not by any means golden, but it seems that in most places a home-made motor-assisted-bicycle falls into some weird legal grey area. What I had to do was go talk to the local constabulary and basically tell them what I was doing, and ask them not to ticket me. They said I should be fine if I didn't cause any trouble.

Last edited:
Hi sebseb. Welcome to MBc! Home of many answers, and awaiting your ideas.

Heres a link to try for a wider pedal crank.
http://www.bicycle-engines.com/wide-crank-pedal-p-106.html

General request to all new members.
Please, before posting any questions, do a search. Then READ,READ,READ.
There is a ton of information here. Many of your engine and performance issues in the Garage & Tech/Mech Help have already been covered. Here at MBc we are the home of nearly all MoteredBike questions. If you search and are unable to find your answer, don't hesitate to post your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D
Here's a great post link to get you started.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=9263&highlight=things+done+first+time

Last edited:
Rules and regulations in the land of OZ

Hi sebseb and welcome to MBc

try lookin at.....

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Hom...recreational_devices/Motorised_foot_scooters/

i hate to break the bad news to ya but the laws have changed since i lived there and internal combustion engines on bicycles are a big no no now

that wasn't the case years ago

but reading the laws about motorosed scooters may give you the edge you need

if you remove the pedals from a bike then i guess it becomes a scooter as such (no pedals = scooter, pedals = bicycle)

i built a 20 inch (BMX size) scooter with moter attached when i lived in brisbane and it was illegal back then, now it is legal according to this latest legislation in QLD, confusing isn't it!!!

hope that info gives you a heads up

good luck mate and happy assembly

from your MBc leagal aid (Australian chapter) ha ha :LOL:

pedals vs no pedals

first off welcome to MBc let me point you to a situation of days gone past...here is just one post in the long thread no pedals means you should license as a moped here is this scenario:

original post by JosephGarcia
Well guys... It's been great... but...
So i got stopped by an officer today, two came out of the car, one was completely amazed by my bike and wouldnt stop asking questions about it. the other one stopped me becuase i forgot to signal while making a turn. then he saw that my bike had no pedals, and he showed me the book he had about CA vehicle laws and stuff, and said my bike had to be registered as a moped and needed running lights front and rear, turn signals, all that jazz. pretty much that it was illegal as it is. apperantly he has one himself and stopped another guy the previous day for violations of the vehicle code for this type of vehicle.

the other officer who was amazed by the bike said to the officer who was talking to me, "hey cut the guy some slack, he made this bike himself and its his only way around" So he said, "ok, were going to drive away...and you do whatever you need to do to get home." and winked, so now i am here, posting an ad to sell this **** bike on craiglist, and i got an offer from a mechanic in el monte to buy it for 550$

maybe anyone in the area here wants to buy it off me? check out my craiglist posting under motorcycles titled Boardtrack Style Motorcycle, for 550$.

Selling mainly beucase i dont want to go through trouble from this thing, i am getting a real motorcycle soon anyways, and the money from this will get it here sooner.

So thanks to everyone who gave me advice on running the engine and bikeguy joe who gave me the extra chain to drive this. (which I can repay, but not return...) and you guys for being an awesome community. Ill be getting another motorized bicycle eventually... but for now its not right for me.

thanks to you all fo the advice.

i guess i'll attach a friction roller to the front wheel so i can keep the peds on.

Back