New member /Old guy

Lunardog

Local time
3:55 AM
Whats up gang. I was looking around at power options for bicycles in electric and gas and decided to go with gas. Didint like the limitations on distance with electrics and the cost was a little steep to try it out. Anyways I was looking for where and what engine to buy and I stumbled acrosas this site and read some reviews and information. Called Pirate cycles and spoke with Matt and am ordering the PK-80 engine kit. Have to go grab a Wally world mountain bike to mount it on today and let him know what style it is cause Im buying the adapter and sprocket so I dont have to mount it to the spokes. Ill fill you all in on how the service went from these guys and update on my build in a couple days.

Ok, so being new to this site and forums in general I dont know if you reply to your own thread to update it so If Im doin this wrong someone let me know..lol. I got the bike, a schwinn sidewinder mountain. Looks sturdy enough and a steel frame if I decide to weld anything. The guys at Pirate cycles seem a bit laxed in returning calls and answering phones which turned me away from them right off the bat. Maybe they are just busy, who knows. Anyhow in doing more research I decided to go with the stinger motor from Bikemotorkit.com. Order went in today 4/4 and Ill post on its arrival and completion of build. I did hear that there is an alternative to the rag joint for mounting the sprocket. Some direct mount to the rear hub. If anyone has info Id appreciate it. This bike is a 21 speed with shimano deraileur. Thanks.

I bought a pineapple sprocket mount for my rear wheel and wish I had it from the beginning. It installs in minutes and there is little room for error because it is machined to fit exactly on a 36 spoke set-up. There are more sturdy and reliable mounting applications but they involve more know-how and installation time. I forgot which online vendor I bought it from though. Also, you'll need to get a sprocket to fit the mounts.

Here are important questions to consider when building for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build?

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build.

Back