New member, ready to build a bike, leaning towards GEBE

Max-M

Local time
8:49 AM
I've been researching the various available options in the motorized bicycle world, and I've concluded that mounting a Golden Eagle engine on a bike that I already own (a relatively high-end, light, 21-speed hybrid made by Rocky Mountain Cycles in Canada) is probably the way to go.

I like the simplicity of GEBE's kit with its Kevlar belt drive and a well-rated 35cc Robin Subaru Japanese engine mounted on a rear rack. I weigh about 165 lbs, and I think I'd probably cruise along pretty swiftly on such a build.

Any thoughts about any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Max
Old Lyme, Connecticut

I think it's a good choice.

I have a GEBE with a Tanaka 32 cc engine. It has given me over 5000 trouble-free miles. One of the most important things about the bike is that you have to have confidence that it will get you where you want to go and back. My GEBE always does that.

Thanks, Virginian

After speaking to Julia at GEBE (at length!), and then various engineers at work, and then perusing Tanaka's web site, I've decided that the PF-3300 32cc Tanaka PureFire 2-Stroke that GEBE offers is the right engine for me. Previously, I just assumed that 4-strokes were better; I had some misconceptions about 2- vs 4-stroke.

Also, I've decided to leave my Rocky Mountain hybrid bike as-is, and to install my GEBE kit on what I've determined to be one of the potentially lightest, simplest, best-quality single-speed cruisers available: the Giant "Simple Single." It's an aluminum-frame bike made by a very reputable manufactrurer, and I like the fact that the flat black version I've chosen will look good with the Tanaka engine because the engine's plastic parts (except the gas tank) are black. The bike only has a coaster brake, but I've got a brand-new Avid 160mm front mechanical disc brake that I speculatively bought at a bike shop liquidation a while back.

I think this bike should be an elegantly simple-looking ride, and a lot of fun.

Of course, I'll post pics when I finish my build.

Best,

Max

Back