New member to the forum

hEireann

Local time
4:41 PM
Hello. My name is Michael and I'm from California. I live in the central valley, which is largely agricultural area and dairy farms. I have worked on dairy farms for about 15 years now. They start early, so to give herself a well-deserved break from commuting me to and from work in the wee hours, my wife got me a motorized bike 10 years ago. It was a basic china-made 2-stroke 66/80cc.

I was appalled! It was a used motor attached to an equally used mountain bike with 29inch wheels. I had no idea where the key was at... I pushed that damn bike around for an hour trying to start it . Finally, and luckily, we contacted the previous owner... Some mush mouth... I couldn't quite make out his instructions but heard enough to figure it out.

What a beautiful, wonderful thing to feel that bicycle pull into traffic and rev up to speed. Moreover, after riding I started looking it over and was (and still am to this moment) amazed by the genius of the design. I am the son of a mechanic, but, sadly, that part of dad didn't pass on to me. However, I can see the cleverness and ingenuity in these motors, especially the 2 strokes.

Well, I learned the hard way... The very hard way. They are no shops or dealers or parts places catering to motorized bikes in our area. Most shop owners would actually look at me with disdain when I said I had a motorized bike and of course were very unhelpful and dismissive. This did nothing but urge me on to figure these inevitable problems which seem universal with these motors. I did it all by myself. Trial and error mostly. If it worked great, if not, back to the garage. I am proud to say that I've likely experienced the majority of issues and worked my way through them. When the motor became useless and parts were a waste of time anymore or too expensive based on the likely outcome, we would purchase a new motor and start fresh. It was a nightmare. Really.

But that nightmare turned into a passion and a hobby that I really enjoy. I do get disappointed when things go wrong and downright vicious if it's 3:00am on a DARK, very lonely back road and all you want is to be at home in bed. All that comes with the cacophony of the coyote packs that are roaming the fields looking for a skinny white dude on a loud a** bike.

The reason this intro kind of ran long is because I wanted to set up an opportunity to voice a couple of things that have helped me in this endeavour.
I didn't know that these forums existed until only a couple years ago. I am not a big tech-y either so I never spent too much time at the computer. But, as I got to be more familiar with the forum and the indispensable resources and like-minded members, I am now extremely grateful for all the members who have and continue to provide the answers to the problems which have stumped me.

A few names come to mind. I do think they should be recognized individually, but that isnt fair to all the many, many members and staff that have helped me so damn much. The knowledge and wisdom you all have graciously bestowed on me is priceless. Thank you all so much. And thank you, with your approval, for accepting me as a member.

Live to ride, ride to live.

Just when you thought you had it all figured out; along came 4-strokes and shifters lol
There ya go again Jerry, trying to convert a son of the 2 stroke light over to your 4 stroke Dark Side...lol...lol...lol.

OH...Wait a minute...I got it reversed...lol...That's supposed to be me, Right???...lol.

Cead Mile Failte to the forums hEireann01.

Hello. My name is Michael and I'm from California. I live in the central valley, which is largely agricultural area and dairy farms. I have worked on dairy farms for about 15 years now. They start early, so to give herself a well-deserved break from commuting me to and from work in the wee hours, my wife got me a motorized bike 10 years ago. It was a basic china-made 2-stroke 66/80cc.

I was appalled! It was a used motor attached to an equally used mountain bike with 29inch wheels. I had no idea where the key was at... I pushed that damn bike around for an hour trying to start it . Finally, and luckily, we contacted the previous owner... Some mush mouth... I couldn't quite make out his instructions but heard enough to figure it out.

What a beautiful, wonderful thing to feel that bicycle pull into traffic and rev up to speed. Moreover, after riding I started looking it over and was (and still am to this moment) amazed by the genius of the design. I am the son of a mechanic, but, sadly, that part of dad didn't pass on to me. However, I can see the cleverness and ingenuity in these motors, especially the 2 strokes.

Well, I learned the hard way... The very hard way. They are no shops or dealers or parts places catering to motorized bikes in our area. Most shop owners would actually look at me with disdain when I said I had a motorized bike and of course were very unhelpful and dismissive. This did nothing but urge me on to figure these inevitable problems which seem universal with these motors. I did it all by myself. Trial and error mostly. If it worked great, if not, back to the garage. I am proud to say that I've likely experienced the majority of issues and worked my way through them. When the motor became useless and parts were a waste of time anymore or too expensive based on the likely outcome, we would purchase a new motor and start fresh. It was a nightmare. Really.

But that nightmare turned into a passion and a hobby that I really enjoy. I do get disappointed when things go wrong and downright vicious if it's 3:00am on a DARK, very lonely back road and all you want is to be at home in bed. All that comes with the cacophony of the coyote packs that are roaming the fields looking for a skinny white dude on a loud a** bike.

The reason this intro kind of ran long is because I wanted to set up an opportunity to voice a couple of things that have helped me in this endeavour.
I didn't know that these forums existed until only a couple years ago. I am not a big tech-y either so I never spent too much time at the computer. But, as I got to be more familiar with the forum and the indispensable resources and like-minded members, I am now extremely grateful for all the members who have and continue to provide the answers to the problems which have stumped me.

A few names come to mind. I do think they should be recognized individually, but that isnt fair to all the many, many members and staff that have helped me so damn much. The knowledge and wisdom you all have graciously bestowed on me is priceless. Thank you all so much. And thank you, with your approval, for accepting me as a member.

Live to ride, ride to live.
Well Mr. hEireann01

I for one, will welcome you here and echo your long message. I too was new to this a year ago and have had a tremendous amount of help from many members. You are welcome for the support and apparently humble in your message and your quest to learn more and build a better bike. Good luck to you and thanks to you for your trade that no doubt benefits many people.

Dennis

Appalled is a strong word.

Welcome buddy. This is lately my forum of choice and probably will be for a while. I've been on many. Not a lot of interaction/action here, which I actually prefer. Good folks here. And I've only been here for 5 months or so.

I've also received a lot of good help and info from the good people here. Beside the moderator's dislike for cussing (@DAMIEN1307 I'm calling you out) it's a pretty good place to hang out.

Beside the moderator's dislike for cussing (@DAMIEN1307 I'm calling you out) it's a pretty good place to hang out.
It's not only my dislike for cussing...lol...Anton, The owner/administrator of the forums actually wrote the forum rules and put that in rule number one...lol...I'm just following the rules...lol...lol.

EDIT:...It just means I'm doing my job right...lol...lol.

1. Please do not post anything which is inappropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, profanity, sexual, sexualized or illicit content, hateful, threatening, provocative or vulgar content, links and websites and discussion encouraging the use of piracy or warez distributions, or any otherwise illegal content or spam. Innapropriate content may be edited or deleted as required.

What is profane to one person... and all that.

I grew up with parents who cursed like sailors. That said... I understand. The current auto-censor works fine. If you ever need to get a point across you just have to be a little creative.

;)

It's not only my dislike for cussing...lol...Anton, The owner/administrator of the forums actually wrote the forum rules and put that in rule number one...lol...I'm just following the rules...lol...lol.

EDIT:...It just means I'm doing my job right...lol...lol.
I was always told if you're in a supervisory role and see bad thing wrote about you on the bathroom walls it means you're doing your job lol

Back