New member w/ Honda GX35 staton chain drive on Nuvinci hub

geesh mang, I was worried about that possibility :( Sorry it did not hold up! I don't know much about those boxes, is there a gear lube inside?

Wonder how much it'd be to cyro harden a set of Staton gears? :devilish:

Good thing there's a lifetime warranty on the Staton box. Dave should honor it, because there are no hp restrictions on it. Maybe it's just the bearings.

Ed, there's general purpose grease in there. The box isn't full of grease, only dollops, just around the moving parts.

Those gears should be heat-treated. :geek:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the gears are not heat treated and you feel up to doing it yourself, (warranty may be voided) use a furnace or a very hot oak fired camp fire and heat the gears until they glow orange. Red hot is a bit too hot for this. Use a long hook or tongs and quickly submerge the glowing gear in a bucket of USED petroleum car motor oil. While keeping it submerged in the oil swirl it around in a figure eight fashion untill is is cool, about 1 minute. It will smoke and stink alot! You will have effectively case hardened the gear. Using used car oil is important as it contains alot more carbon than fresh oil. The extra carbon is needed as the steel will absorb it during the cooling process. Do not use used synthetic!

what an appropriate reply from someone whos handle is "gearnut"! thanks for the info!

i made sure i cleaned and re-lubed the gears every time i took it apart. staton sent me a tube of grease big enough for 100 gear boxes... sheesh! a bit tired to tear it down tonight but i should be up to it tomorrow. oh and 5-7 ill have your motor and all the bits back to you by the end of the week its gonna be a bit before i can ride again. thanks again for the exhilerating experience! im starting to realize more and more whay motored bike gangs dont exhist, there's never a time when all the bikes work at once haha!

Picket

There Is A Guy That Has Used That Type Of Engine For Several Builds.

I Think More And More Builder`s Will Go That Route. Many Of That Style Motors Have 4 Bolt Boss`s On The Bottom Of Crankcase For Easy Mounting.

Two Of The Holes Held The Foot Pegs, So Should Be Plenty Strong. Loose Bolts Is What Can Cause Damage.

Keep Us Posted. Ron

Those are pretty slick! I am sure a trip to the bat cave would handle any motor mount issues! That is really getting into homemade motorcycle territory though :)

what an appropriate reply from someone whos handle is "gearnut"! thanks for the info!

i made sure i cleaned and re-lubed the gears every time i took it apart. staton sent me a tube of grease big enough for 100 gear boxes... sheesh! a bit tired to tear it down tonight but i should be up to it tomorrow. oh and 5-7 ill have your motor and all the bits back to you by the end of the week its gonna be a bit before i can ride again. thanks again for the exhilerating experience! im starting to realize more and more whay motored bike gangs dont exhist, there's never a time when all the bikes work at once haha!

Rick, you can try my 2.8HP Tanaka 47R engine on your Staton/NuVinci setup. Maybe the 5HP 460 was too much.

Then I'll try my rebuilt 460 with reversed p/cyl on my Scooterguy mount.:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back