New Mitsubishi motor won't stay running

I finally got it to run last night, even rode it up and down the street a few times.
This morning, won't start again.

This afternoon I got it running.
Had to hold the throttle lever in while I pull started it. Blew out some white smoke for the first 5-10 seconds.
Then ran fine for about 20 minutes, and died again.

Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, and started it again, no real problem.

Riding it home and it died every 30 seconds-2 minutes. Some of the time it would run (idle) unless the choke was on fully, but then it wouldn't "run" with any power to push me.

I don't know much of anything about motors, so if you can help, that would be great.
Thank you.

The 1 page of instructions that came with the kit says 40:1 fuel (which I'm running). The internet site says 32:1.

I finally got it to run last night, even rode it up and down the street a few times.

Had to hold the throttle lever in while I pull started it. Blew out some white smoke for the first 5-10 seconds.

Riding it home and it died every 30 seconds-2 minutes. Some of the time it would run (idle) unless the choke was on fully, but then it wouldn't "run" with any power to push me.

I don't know much of anything about motors, so if you can help, that would be great.
Thank you.

I don't know much of anything about motors, so if you can help, that would be grehank you.

There is a set screw to adjust the idle speed, just pull the intake cover to get at it, located just past the end of the throttle cable. Try turning clockwise a turn at atime, and make sure there are no obstructions with the choke mechanism when you put the cover back. Good luck!

BTW, you can run it with the cover off, you can choke it with your thumb over the intake if needed. Hope this helps.

Do you have the Mitsubishi TLE43 or the Chinese motor. The TLE43 has no mixture adjustments, the Chinese, I don't know.

This engine should have a two barrel carburetor with non adjustable jets. To be sure, remove the air cleaner cover and look into the carb. There should be two inlet ports and no mixture adjustment screws.

Does it have the stock under mounted fuel tank or a larger remote tank? Will the engine run with the fuel cap loosened?

I had the air cover off of it yesterday because fuel was dripping (slowly) from the air cleaner cover.
There were 2 ports, and I didn't notice any screws in that area.
I have the undermounted 30 oz tank.
Haven't tried running it with the gas lid loosened, but I'll do that.

Have you pulled the plug to see if the engine is flooded. Fuel leaking from the air cleaner is not a good thing. If the plug is dry, try putting a couple of drops of fuel directly into the plug hole and see if it will start. Are you using a remote kill switch, if so, disconnect and try again.

Back