New Mitsubishi motor won't stay running

r5579

Local time
2:25 AM
My TL-43 motor is 3 days old and won't stay running today unless you're squeezing the throttle lever.

It started and ran fine the first 2 days, today took me 30+ minutes to get it to run, and I found that it only runs while you're squeezing the throttle lever, not conducive to "stop & go" through town. (not that I've made it that far yet). I think there are about 5-6 miles on this motor so far, and I've tried to ease onto the throttle, not holding it at any 1 speed, and not maxing it out either.

I'm running the correct ratio of 2 stroke oil to gas.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Please read, surely someone can help.

My TL-43 motor is 3 days old and won't stay running today unless you're squeezing the throttle lever.

It started and ran fine the first 2 days, today took me 30+ minutes to get it to run, and I found that it only runs while you're squeezing the throttle lever, not conducive to "stop & go" through town. (not that I've made it that far yet). I think there are about 5-6 miles on this motor so far, and I've tried to ease onto the throttle, not holding it at any 1 speed, and not maxing it out either.

I'm running the correct ratio of 2 stroke oil to gas.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Idle screw? (sorry for going Sesame Street but you gotta look at everything)

I was thinking about that this evening. I just don't know where the idle screw is at on this motor.

Did get it running about an hour ago. I held the throttle just enough to keep the engine running, but not enough to engage the clutch, dropped the roller onto the tire and rode it up and down the street.

As long as it's moving I don't have to throttle it, but when I'd stop it would die.
But after about 2-3 runs up and down the street, it idled fine at a standstill and didn't die (which is a first for today).

Now maybe I can figure out where the idle screw is at and which direction to turn it.

I appreciate the responses.
Thank you.

hi r5 - well - sounds like you are slowly on your way - for some big fun !! That idle screw - look to see where the throttle cable makes it's connection at the carb - twist your throttle a few times while you look at the carb - it should be moving back and forth - with your throttle in the off position - look where it's sitting at the carb - should be a screw right there.. Most carbs have two screws - one for throttle - one for gas - if your carb has just one screw that should be the throttle - give it a half a turn in - should do something - if not - try another half a turn until throttle of your MB picks up. Since you are new to this - when turning any screws on a carb - keep track of how many turns in or out you turn - just in case later - you want or need to return to the same place. Ride That Thing - Mountainman

If you can upload pictures of the motor from all four sides, we can probably tell you where the idle screw is. Like what Mountainman said, if it's just one screw, you turn it clockwise to increase the idle.

Looking at the motor from the label side it's on the top left corner of the carb. There is a housing surrounding it and the throttle assembly. All you have to do is get in there with a medium sized screw driver and turn it clockwise a bit. I usually do this while the engine is running just a quarter or half turn at a time until the engine runs smoothly but doesn't come anywhere close to engaging the clutch. It's Phillips head I believe. Shouldn't be a hard fix. You can also see the screw if you look directly down from the top of the carb into the opening where the cable attaches and operates the throttle. Make sure your gas cap is on tight too the engine is fed by pressure down one tube into the tank so if the cap is loose you'll starve the engine. You'll love that little engine once it's adjusted properly. I believe it to be perfect for MB application.

Back