New motor, wont start, leaking gas. HELP!

artmaker

Local time
12:30 AM
Flying horse motor I just got from bike berry, finally got it all together, fresh gas, fresh oil, all hooked up, NO SPARK! (And yes I hooked up the wires.)
And... it's leaking gas. Tried to get a photo of where, no way to get a camera up in there, but right by my pointer finger is sort of a barrel shaped thing behind where the gas line is clamped on. Seems to be leaking from there.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 147
Is there another inlet on that carb for fuel? That looks like the overflow. Get a picture of the whole carb please.

Friend is over, he tested for spark and yes, it has spark. HE pulled and pulled, it actually sounded, once, briefly like it wanted to start.
THEN gas started pouring out that extra line, (see photo.)
My old motor had the same line, sort of an overflow escape???? WELL... that started POURING gas onto the ground. Clearly this thing is totally flooded now. HE tightened the adjustment screw (where it was leaking before.) And said he thinks I might have stuck floats? BRAND NEW MOTOR? Really? Only wan to stop gas from just pouring right through was close the petcock. And there I am now.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 139
Is there another inlet on that carb for fuel? That looks like the overflow. Get a picture of the whole carb please.

the Huasheng carb has a inlet on top a, breather on bottom and overflow on top

it should also have a idle screw and a gas-air flow screw which the newer carbs have caped with some copper

Overflow from bowl is the top tube coming out, brass inlet pipe below that is the fuel supply, clear tube on the bottom is the bowl drain tube. Your friend is probably right, the float is sticking causing fuel to flow out of the bowl overflow tube. Sometimes tapping on the arb with a rubber wooden mallet can free it up.

Ok, little update. Had a guy come over (working on construction but he took a look.) We actually got it started. BUT.... only after HE pulled (way harder than I could.) Thing sounded like it was trying. I gave it a little throttle while he pulled and viola! BUT.... fuel is flowing RIGHT out of that overflow tube.... And this motor will NOT idol at all. Soon as I let off the throttle it dies. He tightened up the screw on the bottom of the carb, mind you NOT the center screw, a smaller one on the side, (need more and better pictures.) He said that's an adjustment screw? What a STUPID place for an adjustment screw. Gotta darn near be on the ground looking up just to see it.
There is a black adjustment screw on the left side (drive chain side) same as my old motor. And that was real loose. We did not fiddle with this much, back breaking from laying mortar so bike can wait now. I'm done with it for today.
But tapping it with a mallet????? How does one know when it's freed up? Or do I need to disassemble this blasted thing????? Brand new motor, I would hope not. (STILL no reply from Bikeberry. Their support purely sucks.)

Darwin re reading your post.... hmmm. "Overflow from bowl is the top tube coming out, brass inlet pipe below that is the fuel supply,"
It came with the overflow tube on, the brass one below it has nothing on it, and the "fuel" line I THOUGHT was the one on the left side they already had installed with a clip holding it in place. That's the one I hooked up to the gas. So what exactly is that other open brass pipe for????

1657235122761.png
|
Red is Gas In

Green Is OverFlow

Other Side Is Bottom Tube is Breather Tube or Drain Tube

Screws Should Be TWO one brass one black

Black screw is idle adjustment screw
brass screw is the fuel air screw

Turn Black screw all the way in then turn it one full and half turn out
Same for brass screw
and work from there

OH gees..... DOH! Ok, first, YEA got it running, took first short ride.

Now back to these dumb hoses.
See photo, that open port I THOUGHT was gas in, drains right out once we got the line on the right place. Motor CAME with a line attached there that I thought was gas. Leaving it dangle it hangs RIGHT ON the gears, so we took the hose off. WHAT is that for? And why was it draining so much gas???? If that is an overflow, why have another open nozzel on the other side? BOTH overflows?
Possible since I had this all hooked up wrong it was just draining out old fuel that got where it shouldn't have? My friend tightened up a screw on the BOTTOM of the carb, not the center one. I don't know what that's for but it seemed to stop leaking so bad once he tightened it back up. I also adjusted the fuel mix, black screw was all the way out. I'll be tweaking that as I go Im sure.

Now... it might just be because this was flooded, or just new. But the motor sounds like crap! Hoped I could post a short video here, but no. So here, I'll host it on my own site.
http://www.artmakersworlds.com/testing/NewMotor.MOV

It's short, last HALF please, we hold the throttle open and you can hear the thing spitting and sounds like missing.

My very uneducated non mechanical self things it was just because it got so flooded and this will work itself out. YES????
OR.... is there a good fuel additive I might try to get things moving properly in there and keep the carb from clogging?

I did take it for a very short ride, kinda runs like garbage. Very much like my old motor when it was on the way out. Sputtering, just not smooth. That one WAS smooth when it was new. This one just sounds sick right on its first maiden run. And it died right as I got back to my driveway. (IN fairness I probably ran out of gas. Didn't put much in.)
GOOD gas too, went to a marina and bought non alcohol gas.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 126
OH gees..... DOH! Ok, first, YEA got it running, took first short ride.

Now back to these dumb hoses.
See photo, that open port I THOUGHT was gas in, drains right out once we got the line on the right place. Motor CAME with a line attached there that I thought was gas. Leaving it dangle it hangs RIGHT ON the gears, so we took the hose off. WHAT is that for? And why was it draining so much gas???? If that is an overflow, why have another open nozzel on the other side? BOTH overflows?
Possible since I had this all hooked up wrong it was just draining out old fuel that got where it shouldn't have? My friend tightened up a screw on the BOTTOM of the carb, not the center one. I don't know what that's for but it seemed to stop leaking so bad once he tightened it back up. I also adjusted the fuel mix, black screw was all the way out. I'll be tweaking that as I go Im sure.

Now... it might just be because this was flooded, or just new. But the motor sounds like crap! Hoped I could post a short video here, but no. So here, I'll host it on my own site.
http://www.artmakersworlds.com/testing/NewMotor.MOV

It's short, last HALF please, we hold the throttle open and you can hear the thing spitting and sounds like missing.

My very uneducated non mechanical self things it was just because it got so flooded and this will work itself out. YES????
OR.... is there a good fuel additive I might try to get things moving properly in there and keep the carb from clogging?

I did take it for a very short ride, kinda runs like garbage. Very much like my old motor when it was on the way out. Sputtering, just not smooth. That one WAS smooth when it was new. This one just sounds sick right on its first maiden run. And it died right as I got back to my driveway. (IN fairness I probably ran out of gas. Didn't put much in.)
GOOD gas too, went to a marina and bought non alcohol gas.
The huasheng 142f is known for intake leaks, when running spray carb cleaner around carburetor mounting & carb to cylinder block mounting & listen for a rpm change. Your intake leak will be around where you sprayed carb cleaner.

Back