New motor, wont start, leaking gas. HELP!

Yea its gas without ethanol. Been buying that for a few years now for the chain saw, and for that I have a one gal gas can and put the oil in that one. My main big gas can is just gas. I use that on the push mower, riding mower this bike, etc.

Well I got it to stay on a few nano seconds longer this time but it still keeps dying.

I have a bad feeling leaving it sit dry may have gummed up the carb. Again I do have some seafoam in my gas (Riding mower developed sticky carb last fall, dealer suggested seafoam.)

Found the choke on off thing too, great youtube guy. Easy video about 4 stroke carbs in case anyone else might benefit.

Gees you scare me now with the pre mix gas thing. I don't THINK this is, again bought from this place before, but only for the saw and I still add my own oil. Chainsaw runs flawlessly so if the oil were doubled up that wouldn't be the case would it? I would think too much oil in the mix would make it smoke like crazy. It doesn't. Went through several tanks of gas already. I'm hoping, every round I get this thing to fire, SOME of that seafoam is working through the carb. If that is the problem maybe this will just take some time. I'll keep with the pulling excersizes.

Gees you scare me now with the pre mix gas thing. I don't THINK this is, again bought from this place before, but only for the saw and I still add my own oil. Chainsaw runs flawlessly so if the oil were doubled up that wouldn't be the case would it? I would think too much oil in the mix would make it smoke like crazy. It doesn't. Went through several tanks of gas already. I'm hoping, every round I get this thing to fire, SOME of that seafoam is working through the carb. If that is the problem maybe this will just take some time. I'll keep with the pulling excersizes.
Little bolt on the bottom of the carb, loosen it off a bit and let the fuel in it run out. This will allow the float to reset itself and more seafoam to go through carb. If it has a fuel shut off, turn it off first. Otherwise keep a close eye on it, probably 1/4 cup should come out.

Well, let my carb pee all over a bit, lol. CLosed it up, turned on the gas, this time it runs just a tad longer, only with the choke all the way to the right. (Choked I think?) I was able to give it just a little throttle once, then it died. Did this several times then tried with the choke the other way and it will NOT start at all.

Well, let my carb pee all over a bit, lol. CLosed it up, turned on the gas, this time it runs just a tad longer, only with the choke all the way to the right. (Choked I think?) I was able to give it just a little throttle once, then it died. Did this several times then tried with the choke the other way and it will NOT start at all.
You should only need the choke until it fires once. Then open it up, if it doesn't want to stay running, then there is some gum in the carb jet.

well every time I try it fires up and stays on longer and longer. Then dies. And if I undo the choke it dies. BUT the longer and longer, maybe the seafoam is working it's majic. I did this routine several times today and got it to run a few seconds each time so SOME fuel has passed through the carb.

Won't get to this again for a few days, thanks to everyone for all the help. This forum is outstanding.
Don't leave me yet, happy dance has not yet happened. Cheers

well every time I try it fires up and stays on longer and longer. Then dies. And if I undo the choke it dies. BUT the longer and longer, maybe the seafoam is working it's majic. I did this routine several times today and got it to run a few seconds each time so SOME fuel has passed through the carb.

Won't get to this again for a few days, thanks to everyone for all the help. This forum is outstanding.
Don't leave me yet, happy dance has not yet happened. Cheers
Clean the carb again. All jets with small copper wire or something.

Ok, kinda hoping someone is looking now...

Got the carb all apart. HOW do you get those damn jets OUT OF IT? Tried pulling one with a needle nose, nope, ,gonna mangle it.
And the one in the center that's deep in there, I don't see how that gets removed.

I'm sure I have clogged jets. The rest of the carb looks like new, but it did sit all winter with NO gas in it. (yea got bad advice on that, won't do it again. From now on, marine, non ethenal gas with a dose of sea foam.)

Gonna try youtube again,

😀😃😄 GUYS...... HAPPY DANCE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have taken apart carbs more times than I care to think about and this is the FIRST TIME it ever actually resulted in a RUNNING MOTOR!
OMG.... I'm NOT a total R tard. lol...

Now.... adjusting, will be ongoing as always, but if I give it full throttle it wants to die. I can EASE into full, but yank the handle, dead.
So what needs adjusting for that?

And I have the brass sealed air/fuel screw still sealed. I figure this ran fine last year, I'm not messing with that. Just the idol screw is the only other one I know to fuss with. Will be fussin later, hubby made a surprise stop home, wasn't suppose to be here till the weekend, so.... finishing the bike can wait. Hard part is done, it starts and runs. YIPEEEEEEEEE

Back